August Auer (Deceased)
- M.S., Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University (1965). 
- B.S., Professional Meteorology, St. Louis University (1962). 
Auer was a founding member of the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition, an organization with the aim of “refuting what it believes are unfounded claims about anthropogenic (man-made) global warming.” 
Stance on Climate Change
May 19, 2007
In an interview with The Timaru Herald newspaper, Auer said:
“Water vapour was responsible for 95 per cent of the greenhouse effect, an effect which was vital to keep the world warm. If we didn’t have the greenhouse effect the planet would be at minus 18 deg C but because we do have the greenhouse effect it is plus 15 deg C, all the time. It would be like trying to increase the temperature of bath tub full of water – using one drop from an eye dropper.” 
Auer was featured on “Nzone Focus” on global warming:
Quoted in an article at the Waikato Times, Auer once said a ‘‘combination of misinterpreted and misguided science, media hype and political spin that had created the current hysteria’’ around climate change. 
MetService, where Auer had previously worked as chief meteorologist until late 1998, distanced itself from August Auer due to his stance on climate change. As The New Zealand Herald reported, MetService chief executive John Lumsden said the latest World Meteorological Organisation report confirmed the global warming trend. 
“We are certain of this observation and would like to point out that the views recently made public by Augie Auer in relation to climate change are his own, and in no way do they reflect those of MetService,” Lumsden said. 
The group’s chief meteorologist Neil Gordon said that Auer had used the term “former MetService chief meteorologist” in public statements, and that the group wanted to be clear their views did not agree with Auer’s: 
“There is an implication when he uses that phrase. We want to make it very clear in the public’s mind that we do not agree with what he is saying,” Dr Gordon said. 
“An increasing body of observations gives a collective picture of a warming world and other changes in the weather and climate system,” he said. 
April 6, 2006
- New Zealand Climate Science Coalition — One of several “inaugural founders.” 
- Meteorological Service of New Zealand Limited — Chief Meteorologist (1990 – 1998). 
- TV3 — Former Weather Presenter and later resident meteorologist. 
According to a search of Google Scholar, Auer has not published any articles in peer-reviewed journals on the subject of climate change. His papers on the subject of meteorology have been published in the Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, and the Journal of Applied Meteorology.
- “US Meteorologists’ Tribute to Augie Auer,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, July 7, 2007. Republished by the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/MxKTN
- “NZ sceptics lie about temp records, try to smear top scientist,” HotTopic, November 26, 2009. Archived October 19, 2007. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/EcsOf
- “NIWA ‘adjusts’ records to show warming,” Scoop Independent News, November 26, 2009. Archived October 19, 2007. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/z1OLt
- “Coalition Mourns Sudden Death of Professor Augie Auer, & Pays Tribute at his Funeral,” The New Zealand Climate Science Coalition, June 11, 2007. Archived October 19, 2007. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/k7Pxp
- “Obituary: Aguie Auer,” The New Zealand Herald, June 16, 2007. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/U3if4
- (Press Release) “Obituary – Professor August H. (Augie) Auer jr,” Scoop Independent News, June 11, 2007. Archived October 19, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/JpLRI
- “Scientists Group to Refute Global Warming Claims,” Scoop Independent News, May 1, 2006. Archived October 19, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/u7eMm
- Richard Littlemore. “Denying Climate Change; Urging Inaction,” DeSmog, April 19, 2006.
- “About Us & Contact,” The New Zealand Climate Science Coalition. Archived October 22, 2015. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/a6EPm
- “Augie Auer,” Speakers New Zealand. Archived Ocober 6, 2007. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/Ry3dr
- Tony Orman. “It’s all a load of hot air,” Waikato Times, December 15, 2009. Retrieved from MafiaDoc.com.
- “MetService keen to leave Augie out in the warm.” The New Zealand Herald. December 20, 2006. Archived February 23, 2013.
- “Augie Auer,” Wikipedia profile.
- “New Zealand Climate Science Coalition,” SourceWatch.
- “Group rejects ‘unfounded’ global warming claims.” The New Zealand Herald, May 1, 2006.
- “New science coalition to challenge global warming.” National Business Review, May 1, 2006.
- “Augie Auer on Global Warming – Nzone Focus Classic – Part One” YouTube video. Accessed Nov 10, 2011.