The Daily Caller
The Daily Caller is an online media outlet founded by conservative TV commentator and journalist Tucker Carlson and Neil Patel, former chief policy advisor to Vice President Cheny. Launched on January 11, 2010, The Daily Caller positioned itself as a conservative alternative to The Huffington Post. , 
DeSmog and the Washington Post reported $3 million in funding for The Daily Caller came from climate change denier and GOP supporter Foster Friess, who had reportedly found sponsorship from a range of organizations such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the National Mining Association, and Southern Company, all major opponents of meaningful action to curb climate change. , 
Writing at the Washington Post, Howard Kurtz reported that “Carlson insists this won’t be a right-wing site” and quotes Carlson saying “we’re not enforcing any kind of ideological orthodoxy on anyone.”
However, Kurtz added that “When he announced the Daily Caller last spring, Carlson was more explicit about its ideology, telling Human Events the site would be ‘opposed to what’s going on’ under President Obama – ‘a radical increase in federal power […] a version of socialism.’”
DeSmog also noted that The Daily Caller‘s appointment of former RNC press secretary Moira Bagley to the position of opinion editor called into question Carlson’s statement that the site wouldn’t cater to the right-wing crowd. 
The Daily Caller is home to reporter Michael Bastasch, who has regularly promoted the views of climate change deniers such as Richard Lindzen, Anthony Watts, Andrew Montford, Judith Curry, and many others.
Tax disclosures revealed The Daily Caller’s nonprofit received $960,000 from the Charles Koch Foundation in 2017 and another $20,000 from the Charles Koch Institute. In the prior year, the two combined gave a total of $958,000, amounting to 83 percent of The Daily Caller News Foundation’s annual budget. When combined with the approximately $150,000 given by the Trump campaign in 2016, the total represented 97% of the group’s budget that year. 
Nonprofit Status Questioned
While The Daily Caller describes itself as a “for-profit, independent news outlet” that generates revenue through advertising, it runs alongside its 501(c)(3) non-profit counterpart, The Daily Caller News Foundation, also founded by Carlson and Patel. Public 990 tax forms reveal that The Daily Caller News Foundation, which distributes content “without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience,” receives significant funding from foundations backed and directed by the Koch and Scaife families (see “funding” section below). , 
In 2017, an investigation by the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD) examined the relationship between The Daily Caller and its connected nonprofit. That relationship “raises significant questions about whether the (c)(3) is operating for private benefit instead of for a charitable or educational purpose consistent with its tax-exempt status,” according to Elizabeth Kingsley, a nonprofit tax expert at the D.C. law firm of Harmon, Curran, Spielberg + Eisenberg. 
CMD also found that, through the Daily Caller, Tucker Carlson rented out an email list to the Donald Trump campaign for president for an estimated $150,000. While it is unclear how much of that value went to Carlson himself, he never disclosed this campaign funding in relation to his coverage of the presidential race at FOX News. News of the CMD investigation also broke at The Washington Post. 
While The Daily Caller’s nonprofit arm described itself as a “consumer research educational organization” whose goal is to provide “consumer news and research” to “mainstream consumers,” CMD‘s investigation found “one of the Daily Caller News Foundation’s primary activities is to provide The Daily Caller Inc. with a steady stream of content for its for-profit news website.” The Daily Caller promoted this in its materials for advertisers, as excerpted below: 
“The Daily Caller News Foundation has an advantage that most new media outlets do not: access to millions of views. Reporting created by The Foundation is automatically sent for consideration to the for-profit Daily Caller.”
Tucker Carlson’s Alleged “Misogynistic and Perverted Comments”
In March 2019, Media Matters for America released audio in which they suggest Tucker Carlson made “numerous misogynistic and perverted comments” during his appearances on the radio program Bubba the Love Sponge between 2006 and 2011. Audio below: 
The Media Matters analysis claims Carlson “used sexist language to talk about women, including then-co-workers at NBC and public figures. He referred to Martha Stewart’s daughter Alexis Stewart as ‘cunty,’ called journalist Arianna Huffington a ‘pig,’ and labeled Britney Spears and Paris Hilton ‘the biggest white whores in America.’ He also said that women enjoy being told to ‘be quiet and kind of do what you’re told’ and that they are ‘extremely primitive.’”
In one audio clip, Carlson “said underage marriage is not ‘the same thing exactly as pulling a child from a bus stop and sexually assaulting that child. … The rapist in this case has made a lifelong commitment to live and take care of the person so it is a little different.” 
Partial transcript via Media Matters:
“CARLSON: Look, just to make it absolutely clear. I am not defending underage marriage at all. I just don’t think it’s the same thing exactly as pulling a child from a bus stop and sexually assaulting that child.
CO–HOST: Yeah, it’s – you know what it is? It’s much more planned out and plotted.
THE LOVE SPONGE: Yeah, it should be almost – you almost should put a premeditation –
CARLSON: Wait, wait! Hold on a second. The rapist, in this case, has made a lifelong commitment to live and take care of the person, so it is a little different. I mean, let’s me honest about it.
CO–HOST: That’s twisted.
CARLSON: I’m sorry, I don’t know how I –
CO–HOST: That’s demented.
CARLSON: I got myself in a position that seem like I’m defending it, because I am against that.”
In another sample of audio, “Bubba the Love Sponge” described underage girls sexually experimenting at boarding school, to which Carlson responded “If it weren’t my daughter I would love that scenario”: 
“THE LOVE SPONGE: Let me just give you an example, OK? When she’s laying her head in your bed at night, you know who the hell’s in her bedroom and what they’re doing. Nobody, just her. Well, when she’s in a dormitory-type setting and these little girls start experiment around, next thing you know, you know, you got a lesbian on your hands.
CARLSON: I don’t think – I don’t think that’s likely.
CO–HOST: Next thing you know, boom.
CARLSON: I don’t think that’s –
THE LOVE SPONGE: Boom. Next thing you know –
CARLSON: I don’t think that’s likely. I just don’t see it.
THE LOVE SPONGE: Next thing you know, [inaudible], what’s going on in the [inaudible] dormitory? Nothing. I don’t got a PSP to play, I ain’t got nothing going on, I ain’t got my mom and dad here telling me that they love me and tuck me in bed. So, here’s Trixie, she wants to explore my body a little bit, so hey, let’s go crazy.
CO–HOST: Wow. You’re a sicko.
CARLSON: If it weren’t my daughter I would love that scenario.
CO–HOST: That’s one theory.
THE LOVE SPONGE: Well I mean it’s a – Manson, Manson, can you tell him –
CARLSON: But I just can’t. And I just think that’s pretty unlikely –
THE LOVE SPONGE: As outlandish as that is, how old is your daughter?
CARLSON: 14.” 
Stance on Climate Change
Michael Bastasch is The Daily Caller‘s primary reporter on climate change and energy. Among other debunked arguments, Bastasch has repeatedly promoted the idea that there is a “global warming pause” or “hiatus.” Below is a full list of Bastasch’s articles in 2017 where the headline includes either “global warming” or “climate.”
View the attached spreadsheet for a complete list of Michael Bastasch’s publications (.xlsx) that can be filtered by title keyword.
- “Fears Trump Would Gut Climate Agencies Were Overblown,” The Daily Caller, Mar 16, 2017
- “Trump’s Budget Is A Full-Scale Assault On Obama’s ‘Climate Action Plan’,” The Daily Caller, Mar 16, 2017
- “Everyone Is Misinterpreting Mattis’s Remarks On Climate Change,” The Daily Caller, Mar 15, 2017
- “Let’s Talk About Scott Pruitt’s ‘Denial’ Of Global Warming,” The Daily Caller, Mar 14, 2017
- “Pending Executive Order Targets Key Pillars Of Obama’s Climate Agenda,” The Daily Caller, Mar 14, 2017
- “Winter Storm Stella Is Already Being Blamed On Global Warming,” The Daily Caller, Mar 13, 2017
- “World Leaders Conspire To Keep Trump In The Paris Climate Agreement,” The Daily Caller, Mar 13, 2017
- “Let’s Talk About The ‘97% Consensus’ On Global Warming,” The Daily Caller, Mar 5, 2017
- “Trump Orders EPA To ‘Zero Out’ Global Warming Programs,” The Daily Caller, Mar 2, 2017
- “LAWSUIT: Obama Officials, Activists, China Worked To Keep The ‘Climate Gravy Train Chugging’,” The Daily Caller, Feb 27, 2017
- “Ivanka, Jared Intervened To Strip Language Critical Of The Paris Climate Accords Out Of An Executive Order,” The Daily Caller, Feb 23, 2017
- “One Of The World’s Most Advanced Supercomputers Used To Track Global Warming Is Powered By Coal,” The Daily Caller, Feb 22, 2017
- “Climate Models Are Warming Earth Two Times Faster Than Reality,” The Daily Caller, Feb 21, 2017
- “Trump Will Issue Executive Orders To Dismantle Obama’s ‘Climate Action Plan’,” The Daily Caller, Feb 20, 2017
- “The Media Is Already Linking Oroville Dam Disaster To Global Warming,” The Daily Caller, Feb 15, 2017
- “NOAA hiring outside experts to review ‘Pause-Busting’ global warming study,” The Daily Caller, Feb 14, 2017
- “News Station Fires Science Reporter Who Questioned Vaccines, Global Warming,” The Daily Caller, Feb 14, 2017
- “UK Officials Lobby Trump, Argue Climate Regulations Create Jobs,” The Daily Caller, Feb 14, 2017
- “Here’s How Trump Can Withdraw From The Paris Climate Agreement,” The Daily Caller, Feb 13, 2017
- “NOAA Is Hiring Outside Experts To Review ‘Pause-Busting’ Global Warming Study,” The Daily Caller, Feb 13, 2017
- “NOAA Expedited ‘Pause’-Busting Global Warming Study, Says Former Employee,” The Daily Caller, Feb 9, 2017
- “Trump Agrees With Princeton Physicist That Global Warming Is A ‘Cult Movement’,” The Daily Caller, Feb 7, 2017
- “House Committee To ‘Push Ahead’ With Investigation Into Alleged Climate Data Manipulation At NOAA,” The Daily Caller, Feb 6, 2017
- “NOAA To ‘Review’ Allegations That Scientists Manipulated Global Warming Research,” The Daily Caller, Feb 6, 2017
- “Whistleblower: NOAA Scientists Manipulated Temperature Data To Make Global Warming Seem Worse,” The Daily Caller, Feb 5, 2017
- “Single Largest US Political Donor Is Moving ‘Beyond’ Global Warming Activism,” The Daily Caller, Feb 1, 2017
- “DOE Employees Scrubbed ‘Climate Change’ From Agency Files To Fool Trump,” The Daily Caller, Jan 26, 2017
- “Rogue National Park Worker Scrambles To Put Out As Many Global Warming Tweets As it Can Before Trump Closes The Door,” The Daily Caller, Jan 24, 2017
- “How Much Global Warming Did Obama’s Regulations Avert? None,” The Daily Caller, Jan 20, 2017
- “There’s Still Less Warming Than Climate Models Predicted, Despite 2016’s Record Warmth,” The Daily Caller, Jan 18, 2017
- “China’s Top Communist Lectures Trump On Global Warming At Davos,” The Daily Caller, Jan 17, 2017
- “Trump May Pick A Prominent Global Warming Skeptic As His Science Czar,” The Daily Caller, Jan 16, 2017
- “Bill Nye blames global warming for California flood,” The Daily Caller, Jan 12, 2017
- “Tillerson: Global Warming Is Not An ‘Imminent National Security Threat’ [VIDEO],” The Daily Caller, Jan 12, 2017
- “Global Warming Activist Interrupts Tillerson Hearing, ‘My Home Was Destroyed By Hurricane Sandy’,” The Daily Caller, Jan 11, 2017
- “Tillerson: ‘The Risk Of Climate Change Does Exist’,” The Daily Caller, Jan 11, 2017
- “Bill Nye Blames Global Warming For Devastating Floods In Northern Cali,” The Daily Caller, Jan 10, 2017
- “Obama: ‘Our Children Won’t Have Time To Debate The Existence Of Climate Change’,” The Daily Caller, Jan 10, 2017
- “‘Knives Sticking Out Of My Back’: Global Warming Skeptic Tells Tucker Carlson Why She Left Academia [VIDEO],” The Daily Caller, Jan 7, 2017
- “New Study Confirms There’s Still Less Global Warming Than Climate Models Predicted,” The Daily Caller, Jan 5, 2017
- “Tucker Savages College Prof Refusing To Back Up His Claim That ’98 Percent’ Of Scientists Believe In Global Warming [VIDEO],” The Daily Caller, Jan 5, 2017
- “‘Craziness’ Of The Global Warming Debate Drives Prominent Skeptic From Academia,” The Daily Caller, Jan 4, 2017
- “PAPER: ‘Overwhelming Whiteness’ Is Holding Us Back In The Fight Against Global Warming,” The Daily Caller, Jan 4, 2017
- “Trump EPA Pick Labeled ‘Climate Denier,’ But There’s No Evidence He Denied Climate Change,” The Daily Caller, Jan 3, 2017
The Center for Media and Democracy reported in 2017 that The Daily Caller had rented out an email list to the Donald Trump campaign for president for an estimated $150,000. News of the CMD investigation also broke at The Washington Post. , 
“While other for-profit news outlets do sell advertising to political campaigns, The Daily Caller’s arrangement with the Trump campaign was unusual, in that it permitted the campaign to send co-branded emails to Daily Caller followers that were not visible to the general public, even as the outlet claimed to be independent and relentlessly attacked Clinton and pushed stories that aided or echoed the Trump campaign,” CMD reported. 
CMD reported its methodology for reaching the $150,000 funding figure: 
“As 2017, The Daily Caller’s email list was said to include 400,000 opt-in names, and was offered to advertisers at a rate of $6,000 per email. Whether that was the same rate charged for the frequent emails sent by the Trump campaign before the presidential election is not known, but it serves as a baseline for the estimated value of the list.
“At an un-tiered market price as of 2017, the 25 Trump campaign emails would have amounted to $150,000 dollars in advertising revenue for The Daily Caller, with an untold amount contributing to Carlson’s salary, bonuses, or profit-sharing.” 
Tax disclosures revealed in 2018 that, for the 2017 tax year, The Daily Caller’s nonprofit arm received $960,000 from the Charles Koch Foundation and another $20,000 from the Charles Koch Institute. In the prior year, the two combined gave a total of $958,000, amounting to 83 percent of The Daily Caller News Foundation’s annual budget.
As reported at Daily KOS, the Daily Caller was one of the main beneficiaries of climate change denial funding through Koch foundations, and “also seems to be the final destination of sorts for the conservative media pipeline.” 
Desmog reported in 2014 that the Daily Caller News Foundation (the non-profit arm of the Daily Caller website) took in $106,248 in two donations from the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation. The DonorsTrust, a key funding arm for climate science denial groups, also contributed $60,000 to the Daily Caller in 2014. 
Climate science denier and Republican supporter Foster Friess helped bankroll the Daily Caller with a $3 million donation before it was launched in January 2010. 
Media Matters reported that Friess was also a major Koch donor and regular attendee of the Koch’s annual summits. The Daily Caller News Foundation was also formerly listed as a “Partner Organization” of the Charles Koch Institute. , 
Below is a summary of funding, from archived funding data at Conservative Transparency and from publicly available 990 records. View the attached spreadsheet for details on The Daily Caller News Foundation’s funding by year (.xlsx). 
|Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation||$11,064||$50,000||$106,248||$610,302||$946,127||$959,502||$746,250||$3,429,493|
|Searle Freedom Trust||$80,000||$180,000||$80,000||$340,000|
|Sarah Scaife Foundation||$250,000||$250,000|
|Diana Davis Spencer Foundation||$150,000||$150,000|
|Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation||$100,000||$100,000|
|Charles Koch Institute||$30,000||$18,200||$12,000||$20,000||$80,200|
|Kickapoo Springs Foundation||$5,000||$5,000||$10,000|
990 Forms (The Daily Caller News Foundation)
The following people have been listed on The Daily Caller website:
- Neil Patel — President
- Tucker Carlson — Chairman
|Mike Piccione||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Guns and Gear Editor|
|Paul Conner||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Executive Editor|
|Vince Coglianese||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Editorial Director|
|Betsy Rothstein||Y||Y||Y||Y||Media Columnist|
|Eric Owens||Y||Y||Y||Y||Education Editor|
|Scott Greer||Y||Y||Y||Y||Deputy Editor|
|Christian Datoc||Y||Y||Y||Engagement and Breaking News Editor|
|Derek Draplin||Y||Y||Y||Associate Editor|
|Alex Pfeiffer||Y||Y||White House Correspondent|
|David Hookstead||Y||Y||Head of Security, Sports Reporter|
|Peter Hasson||Y||Y||Associate Editor|
|Amber Athey||Y||Media and Breaking News Reporter|
|Ford Springer||Y||Entertainment/Sports Reporter|
|Geoff Ingersoll||Y||Editor in Chief|
|Katie Jerkovich||Y||Entertainment Reporter|
|Richie McGinniss||Y||Chief Video Editor|
|Robert Mariani||Y||Opinion Editor|
|Alex Pappas||Y||Y||Y||Y||Senior Reporter|
|Ginni Thomas||Y||Y||Y||Y||Special Correspondent|
|Jamie Weinstein||Y||Y||Y||Y||Senior Editor|
|Jordan Bloom||Y||Y||Y||Opinion Editor|
|Kaitlan Collins||Y||Y||Entertainment Editor|
|Grae Stafford||Y||Y||Y||Multimedia Producer|
|Emma Colton||Y||Network Editor|
|Katie Frates||Y||Associate Editor|
|Neil Munro||Y||Y||White House Correspondent|
|Giuseppe Macri||Y||Tech Editor|
|Rachel Stoltzfoos||Y||Senior Reporter, Politics, Immigration, Abortion|
|David Martosko||Y||Executive Editor|
|Josh Peterson||Y||Tech Editor|
|Mary Katherine Ham||Y||Special Correspondent|
|Michelle Fields||Y||Video Reporter|
|Nicholas Ballasy||Y||Senior Video Reporter|
|Peter Tucci||Y||Opinion Editor|
|Sean Rainey||Y||Multimedia Producer|
|Steven Nelson||Y||Associate Editor|
|Taylor Bigler||Y||Entertainment Editor|
|Will Rahn||Y||Deputy Editor|
|Brian Danza||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Chief Technology Officer|
|Patrick Kuo||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Infrastructure and Hosting Specialist|
|Neil Stevens||Y||Y||Y||Y||Web Developer|
|Matt Appleman||Y||Y||Marketing Strategist|
|Reverend Billy Cerveny||Y||Y||Chaplain|
|Margaret Crilley||Y||Executive Director|
|Kelsey Greissing||Y||Y||Director of Operations and Public Relations (Contact to book reporters for media appearances)|
|Jack Kocsis||Y||Director of Commerce & Affiliate Partnerships|
|The Reverend Billy Cerveny||Y||Y||Chaplain|
|Henry Palermo||Y||King of the Interns|
|Vanessa Webb||Y||Web Developer|
|Jeremy Freedman||Y||Y||Web Developer|
|McKenzie Vaughn||Y||Director of Operations and Public Relations (Contact to book reporters for media appearances)|
|Aaron Finley||Y||Vice President of Sales|
|Alex Treadway||Y||Chief Revenue Officer|
|Billy Cerveny||Y||College Buddy|
|Caroline Gray||Y||Sales Associate|
|Caroline Wearn||Y||Office Assistant|
|Chad Brady||Y||Director of Programmatic & Advertising Operations|
|Krista Staley||Y||Senior Vice President of Sales|
|Nicole Roeberg||Y||Director of Communications and Public Affairs|
|Patrick McMahon||Y||Deputy Director of Communications|
|Jack Kocsis||Y||Director of Commerce & Affiliate Partnerships|
|Alex Treadway||Y||Y||Chief Revenue Officer|
|Chad Brady||Y||Y||Y||Y||Director of Programmatic & Advertising Operations|
|Nancy Murphy||Y||Marketing and Sales Associate|
|Lauren Patterson||Y||Y||Sales Associate|
|Jake Berube||Y||Y||Y||Senior Advertising Accounts Executive|
|Krista Staley||Y||Y||Senior Vice President of Sales|
|Joe Corbe||Y||Y||Senior Vice President of Sales|
|Stuart Keating||Y||Vice President, National Brand Sales|
Daily Caller News Foundation
The Daily Caller News Foundation—which maintains a separate website from The Daily Caller listed the following people on its website: 
|Carter DeWitt||Senior Vice President of Development|
|Margaret Crilley||Executive Director|
|Mark Tapscott||Executive Editor/Chief of the Investigative Group|
|Geoffrey Ingersoll||Managing Editor|
|Emma Colton||Network Editor|
|Holmes Lybrand||Editor, Fact-Check|
|Richard Pollock||Senior Investigative Reporter|
|Michael Bastasch||Senior Reporter, Energy, Climate and the Environment|
|Rachel Stoltzfoos||Senior Reporter, Politics, Immigration, Abortion|
|Ethan Barton||Investigative Reporter|
|Luke Rosiak||Investigative Reporter|
|David Sivak||Reporter, Fact-Check|
|Kush Desai||Reporter, Fact-Check|
|Steve Birr||Reporter, Vice, District of Columbia|
|Jonah Bennett||Reporter, Veterans Affairs|
|Juliegrace Brufke||Reporter, Politics|
|Jacob Bojesson||Reporter, Europe|
|Andrew Follett||Reporter, Space, Energy|
|Russ Read||Reporter, Foreign Affairs|
|Chris White||Reporter, Energy, Transportation, Climate, the Environment|
|Saagar Enjeti||Reporter, Foreign Affairs|
|Eric Lieberman||Reporter, Law-Enforcement, Tech, Cyber Surveillance|
|Amber Randall||Reporter, Civil Rights, Education|
|Ted Goodman||Reporter, Labor|
|Phillip Stucky||Reporter, Politics|
|Kevin Daley||Reporter, Courts, Rome, Bureau of Land Management|
|Thomas Phippen||Reporter, Government Contracts, Agriculture, Welfare|
|Robert Donachie||Reporter, Finance, Health Care|
|Ryan Pickrell||Reporter, China, Trade|
|Rob Shimshock||Reporter, Education|
|Will Racke||Department of State, Foreign Affairs|
|Grace Carr||Reporter, Feminism|
|Jack Crowe||Reporter, Politics, Transportation|
|Henry Rodgers||Reporter, Politics|
|Joshua Gill||Reporter, Religion|
|Anders Hagstrom||Reporter, Justice, Crime, Punishment|
|Nick Givas||Reporter, Television|
|Timothy Pearce||Reporter, Interior|
|Will Ricciardella||Media Critic|
The Daily Caller joined the White House press pool in 2010: 
“We’re excited about it,” said Daily Caller co-founder Tucker Carlson. “The goal is to get more facts out there. This helps us do that.”
A DeSmog investigation on the funding of several conservative outlets that reject the risks of human-caused climate change found that several Daily Caller staff had previously spent time at partisan think tanks. DeSmog wrote:
Investigative reporter Katie Watson spent three years at the Franklin Center’s Watchdog project, reporter Connor Wolf was an associate at the Charles Koch Institute, environment writer Michael Bastasch was a Koch intern, editor in chief Christopher Bedford was an associate at the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation, and managing editor Paul Connor and reporter Casey Harper both spent time at the Young America’s Foundation’s National Journalism Center (NJC).
April 17, 2019
Facebook announced it was adding The Daily Caller’s CheckYourFact.com factchecking arm to its list of certified content reviewers, Axios first reported. 
Some established factcheckers, such as Snopes.com, have distanced themselves from Facebook’s program, calling it ineffective. Journalists have also said they have lost confidence in the platform. , 
As noted by The Guardian, The Daily Caller had recently been accused of running “false and offensive content” including a fake photo of congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in January. 
July 5, 2017
Michael Bastasch promoted a study at The Daily Caller claiming that “adjustments made to global surface temperature readings by scientists in recent years ‘are totally inconsistent with published and credible U.S. and other temperature data.’” 
While Bastasch asserts the study is peer reviewed, the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) reviewed the document, and notes that the study “points almost exclusively to dataset sources, ignoring virtually all peer-reviewed studies that examine the issues that they raise.” 
Snopes also evaluated the claim that “A peer-reviewed study has found evidence that nearly all of global warming has been fabricated by climate scientists” and found it to be “false.” Snopes notes the study was not published in a formal journal, but rather a WordPress blog of one of the co-authors, and that it did not fit the traditional definition of peer review. 
UCS senior climate scientist Rachel Licker wrote:
“There were so many egregious errors and unsubstantiated claims in this document, that I cringed with discomfort that this could be mistaken as a peer-reviewed scientific study.” 
June 14, 2017
Writing at The Daily Caller, Michael Bastasch claimed a new study “debunked science the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has used to justify imposing costly regulations on U.S. industries.” The study looked at the association between air quality and acute deaths, for which it found “little evidence.” 
Bastasch notes that the study, published by statistician Stan Young three years ago, faced challenges in getting published in a journal. It was finally accepted by the journal Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology after being rejected in July 2015 by the journal PLOS One, which said that the EPA‘s position was already settled: 
“EPA and other regulatory bodies have long since concluded these associations are causal so I don’t think there is much point in going over this again and again,” the PLOS One editor wrote to Young. 
March 14, 2017
Bastasch wrote an article in The Daily Caller discussing Scott Pruitt’s statement’s that “ I would not agree that [CO2 is] a primary contributor to the global warming that we see.” Bastasch highlights defenses of Pruitt’s statements by noted climate change deniers Judith Curry, Roy Spencer, and Roger Pielke, Sr. 
“In my opinion, this is correct and is a healthy position for both the science and policy debates,” Curry had written of Pruitt’s statement on her blog. 
February 23, 2017
The Daily Caller was one of several media outlets including Fox News and The Hill which promoted a petition organized by Richard Lindzen of the Cato Institute urging President Donald Trump to pull the United States out of the United Nations international convention on climate change (UNFCCC). , , 
“In just a few weeks, more than 300 eminent scientists and other qualified individuals from around the world have signed the petition below,” Lindzen wrote in the letter.
DeSmog investigated the list, and found that only a small handful of the signatories could be considered “even remotely ‘qualified’ or ‘eminent’ — but not in the field of climate science.” The list included individuals “interested in climate,” and one signatory who only identified as an “emailer who wished to sign the petition” while some signers provided no affiliation or address whatsoever. 
February 21, 2017
Writing at The Daily Caller, Michael Bastasch promoted a research report by climate change denier Judith Curry, who had written the report a month prior for the Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF). Notably, Curry wrote her report for the noted climate change denial organization shortly after she decided to leave her academic position at Georgia Tech. , 
“Climate models show twice as much warming during the 21st Century than what’s actually been observed, according to a new report highlighting the limitations of global climate models, or GCMs,” Bastasch wrote. 
The report, titled “Climate Models for the Layman” argues climate models are unreliable and “not fit for the purpose of identifying with high confidence the proportion of the 20th century warming that was human-caused as opposed to natural.” 
December 14, 2016
Bastasch claims a study co-authored by climate change deniers Anthony Watts and Willis Eschenbach is enough to call the IPCC‘s predictions of global warming into question, as he wrote in The Daily Caller under an article titled “New Study Casts Doubt On A Key Metric For Predicting Global Warming.” 
“This study was entirely serendipitous, the result came about from pure curiosity, nothing else,” Watts told The Daily Caller News Foundation. 
Other skeptics cited by Bastasch in the article include Pat Michaels and Chip Knappenberger of the fossil-fuel funded Cato Institute. 
“Going forward we should expect less warming from future greenhouse gas emissions than climate models are projecting,” Michaels and Knappenberger wrote of the study. They also described it as the “’death blow’ to global warming hysteria.” 
April 25, 2016
Bastasch cited a report by Andrew Montford at the Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) claiming there is no connection between droughts and heat waves and global warming. 
“Climate scientists and environmentalists have claimed for years droughts and heatwaves were getting worse because of man-made global warming, but those predictions have not come true, according to a new study,” Bastasch wrote in The Daily Caller. 
December 4, 2015
Prior to his testimony before congress, organized by senator Ted Cruz, climate science denier Mark Steyn appeared in an interview with Michael Bastasch at The Daily Caller. “Steyn is prepared for Democrat attacks on his credibility and lack of a climate science degree,” Bastasch wrote. , 
“That’s a fair enough question because I’m not a scientist,” Steyn told The Daily Caller News Foundation. “If some Democrat on that committee wants to take the hockey stick to me and beat me to a pulp, I don’t mind that.
“I look at all these people bloviating in Paris. Barack Obama and the Prince of Wales aren’t scientists either,” Steyn says. “Since I’ve been sued by Michael Mann I’ve been spending more time than I thought on the science.”
“Science-wise I can hold my own with ‘climate experts,’” he added. 
Bastasch wrote two pieces in The Daily Caller highlighting the work of the European Institute for Climate and Energy (EIKE). The first was titled “Study Predicts Decades Of Global Cooling Ahead” and quotes EIKE‘s Jürgen Langeheine: 
“The stagnation of temperature since 1998 was caused by decreasing solar activity since 1998,” Langeheine had said. 
Bastasch wrote another piece in the Daily Caller where he claimed Langeheine’s research proved that temperatures were falling globally due to a decline in solar activity. 
January 28, 2015
Michael Bastasch wrote at the Daily Caller that “solar radiation has been melting Siberian ice for 7,000 years,” evidence that “global warming is nothing new.” Bastasch was pointing to research from Germany’s Alfred Wegener Institute and published in the journal Nature Geoscience. Before Bastasch, the study had also been mentioned by Anthony Watts’s Watts Up With That, which had also republished portions of the paper’s original press release. , 
ThinkProgress reported that “the Daily Caller is using the research to reinforce a common trope among climate deniers: that the climate has always been changing, and humans therefore have no effect.” However, ThinkProgress also notes there is a problem: the research Bastasch cited “does not say any of that. It does not show that Siberian ice is “melting,” and certainly does not show that ‘solar radiation’ is the cause.” 
ThinkProgress contacted Dr. Thomas Laepple, one of the study’s authors. Laepple said while the wording looked “very close” to his press release, “subtle changes were made” to make it seem like “the climate always warmed and therefore the human impact would not be important.” 
Laepple told ThinkProgress that The Daily Caller’s claim that “global warming is nothing new” was “misleading,” as it “attempts to equate a global phenomenon with a seasonal, regional, long-term trend.” In reality, he said, global warming occurs “in all seasons at a pace that is faster than anything we experienced during the last millennia.” 
The Daily Caller‘s Education Editor, Eric Owens, was one of several individuals and news outlets to inaccurately claim that philosopher and Rochester Institute of Technology assistant professor Lawrence Torcello “wants to send people who disagree with him about global warming to jail.” 
Torcello had written an article at The Conversation suggesting that there was “good reason to consider” that “the funding of climate denial” was morally and criminally negligent. In response, Torcello had received hundreds of email threats, such as “DIE you maggot,” or “Fortunately, your kind will be marched to the wall with all the other leftist detritus,” Desmog reported. 
In a statement responding to conservative media, including FoxNation, The Drudge Report, Breitbart and The Daily Caller, who had claimed Torcello had called for contrarian scientists to be jailed, the Rochester Institute of Technology said: 
“The search for truth is the animating force of a university, and it behooves those who support open and respectful discussion of controversial issues to get the facts right. Recently the views expressed by a member of our community, Professor Lawrence Torcello, have been misrepresented by some in the media. The misrepresentation follows a pattern similar to other incidents of misrepresentation involving academics that work on topics related to climate change.”
The statement encouraged people to read Torcello’s original story in The Conversation, and added: 
“The Institute wishes to acknowledge, with Professor Torcello, that a strong scientific consensus exists in support of anthropogenic global warming.”
After Bastasch wrote a Daily Caller story claiming that the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) had “nothing to do” with Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” (SYG)/”Castle Doctrine” law. Bastasch said the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD) had made the claim that ALEC “drafted” the law. CMD responded that “we did not make that claim.” 
“Had Bastasch done any original research about CMD‘s actual original reporting on SYG, he would have seen that CMD is the research organization that documented how ALEC “ratified” the Florida SYG bill after it was signed into law […]” Lisa Graves wrote at CMD. “Bastasch’s piece raises a question about how Daily Caller fact-checks its stories. If undocumented assertions like those about CMD are passed off as news, the Daily Caller could be said to be acting with reckless disregard for the truth,” she adds. 
Graves also notes that Bastasch does not disclose his past internship with ALEC in his piece. “Of course, Bastasch conveniently omits ALEC‘s well-documented role supporting the proliferation of ‘Stand Your Ground”/”Castle Doctrine’ laws across the country, which is not the same as having absolutely nothing to do with these laws,” she also noted. 
David Martosko, former executive editor of The Daily Caller, admitted in court that he had posed as a “dope-smoking commie” and used a fake Facebook account to gain information on animal rights activists, Mother Jones reported. The following is an excerpt from Martosko’s 2011 deposition: 
Q: Okay. Well, have you ever used a Facebook name that was not your own?
Q: And what name was that?
Martosko: I believe it was Preston Davis.
Q: And was that the only Facebook name you’ve used?
Martosko: Other than my own?
Q: Other than your own.
Q: Okay. What about Gregory Davis or Greg Davis?
Martosko: Ah. That was—I think that was originally—forgive me. That was originally the name of the same account, and then that name was changed.
Q: Okay. And you had used that to friend activists, I guess that you were wanting to learn more information about; is that correct?
Martosko: That’s correct.
Martosko’s hiring was controversial, given his previous challenges with the law. However, The Daily Caller’s Editor-in-Chief Tucker Carlson defended the hiring initially: 
“Yes, I knew about it,” Carlson said in an email to Adweek. “In fact it’s one of the reasons I hired him. People who’ve been shamed in public tend to know themselves better, something I learned on Dancing with the Stars. David’s not the only person in this office who’s been arrested, by the way, and I’ve made it clear to the staff that anyone who judges him for it can leave. Nobody has. Incidentally, David, like me, doesn’t drink any more. So we’ve got that in common.” 
November 13, 2011
During a video chat with The Daily Caller’s Ginni Thomas, Lord Christopher Monckton claimed that environmental groups “hate humanity” and that the goal of the United Nations process of climate change negotiations was to “set-up a world government,” DeSmog reported. , 
During the interview, Monckton also told Thomas that the cleanest form of energy is coal:
“The fact is that if we allow our fossil fuels to be interfered with or priced out of the market, so as to subside futile, bird-killing, bat-slicing windmills, or these ridiculous solar panels, then all we do is cut of our nose to spite our face” 
- The Daily Caller News Foundation
- The Mirror — Also hosted by The Daily Caller.
- Charles Koch Institute — Formerly listed The Daily Caller News Foundation as a “Partner Organization” 
DeSmog has noted that several Daily Caller staff have spent time at other organizations analyzed by DeSmog, particularly those with connections to Koch Family Foundations. 
For example, Investigative reporter Katie Watson spent three years at the Franklin Center’s Watchdog project, reporter Connor Wolf was an associate at the Charles Koch Institute, environment writer Michael Bastasch was a Koch intern, editor in chief Christopher Bedford was an associate at the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation, and managing editor Paul Connor and reporter Casey Harper both spent time at the Young America’s Foundation’s National Journalism Center (NJC). 
Contact & Address
The Daily Caller and the Daily Caller News Foundation share the following address: 
The Daily Caller
1050 17th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
- @DailyCaller on Facebook.
- @DailyCaller/@TheDCPolitics/@TheDC_Opinion on Twitter.
- The Daily Caller on YouTube.
- “ABOUT US,” The Daily Caller. Archived August 12, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/6SXeS
- Mercedes Bunz. “The Daily Caller: the conservative answer to the Huffington Post,” The Guardian, January 11, 2010. Archived August 12, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/ceJ5Y
- “About Us,” The Daily Caller News Foundation. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/4DnWL
- Brendan DeMelle. “Tucker Carlson’s ‘Daily Caller’ Website Bankrolled by Climate Change Denier,” DeSmog, January 12, 2010.
- Howard Kurtz. “Media Notes: A look at Tucker Carlson’s political Web site, the Daily Caller,” Washington Post, January 11, 2010. Archived August 15, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/vd9u0
- “Why Do the Kochs Want To Hide Donations From The IRS? The Answer WON’T Surprise You!” Daily KOS, June 17, 2016. Archived July 13, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/zncCi
- Graham Readfearn. “Conservative Funders of Climate Denial Are Quietly Spending Millions To Generate More Partisan Journalism,” DeSmog, June 15, 2016.
- Denise Robbins. “New Book Exposes Koch Brothers’ Guide To Infiltrating The Media,” Media Matters, February 17, 2016.
- “Partner Organizations,” Charles Koch Institute. Archived July 4, 2014. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/qHpZi
- “Daily Caller News Foundation,” Conservative Transparency. Accessed August 11, 2017.
- Michael Calderone. “Daily Caller joins W.H. pool,” Politico, February 1, 2010. Archived August 16, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/QaZgd
- Michael Bastasch. “EXCLUSIVE: Study Finds Temperature Adjustments Account For ‘Nearly All Of The Warming’ In Climate Data,” The Daily Caller, July 5, 2017. Archived August 14, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/MniZG
- “We Fact-Checked a Bogus ‘Study’ on Global Temperature That’s Misleading Readers,” Union of Concerned Scientists, July 21, 2017. Archived August 14, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/gAIQH
- “Peer-Reviewed Study Proves All Recent Global Warming Fabricated by Climatologists?” Snopes.com. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/egPDe
- Michael Bastasch. “DEBUNKED: Study Exposes The Huge Flaws In EPA Science,” The Daily Caller, June 14, 2017. Archived July 13, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/21dRU
- Michael Bastasch. “Let’s Talk About Scott Pruitt’s ‘Denial’ Of Global Warming,” The Daily Caller, March 14, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/KAVwv
- Valerie Richardson. “Hundreds of Scientists Urge Trump to Withdraw from U.N.Climate-Change Agency,” The Washington Times, February 23, 2017. Republished by Fox News. Archived March 6, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/dlFj3
- Timothy Cama. “Climate skeptics ask Trump to withdraw from UN agency,“ The Hill, February 23, 2017. Archived March 6, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/dlFj3
- Michael Bastasch. “Hundreds Of Scientists Urge Trump To Pull Out Of A 25-Year-Old UN Environmental Treaty,” The Daily Caller, February 23, 2017. Archived March 6, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/Lg3U5
- Graham Readfearn. “Climate Science Denier Richard Lindzen’s List of 300 “Scientists” Sent to Trump Is the Usual Parade of Non-Experts,” DeSmog, February 27, 2017.
- “CLIMATE MODELS for the layman” (PDF), The Global Warming Policy Foundation. PDF document created January 19, 2017. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmog.
- Michael Bastasch. “Climate Models Are Warming Earth Two Times Faster Than Reality,” The Daily Caller News Foundation, February 21, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/4HJy4
- Michael Bastasch. “New Study Casts Doubt On A Key Metric For Predicting Global Warming,” The Daily Caller, December 14, 2016. Archived March 23, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/UKUmE
- “PARCHED EARTH POLICY: Drought, heatwave and conflict” (PDF), The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF Briefing 21), 2016. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmog.
- Michael Bastasch. “Paper: Droughts, Heat Waves Are Not Getting Worse Like Alarmists Predicted,” The Daily Caller, April 25, 2016. Archived March 24, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/sVdgU
- Andrew Seifter. “Why Is Shock Jock Mark Steyn Testifying At A Senate Hearing On Climate Science?” Media Matters, December 8, 2015. Archived March 24, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/HNq1S
- Michael Bastasch. “Mark Steyn Will Take On Global Warming Alarmists In Congress,” The Daily Caller, December 4, 2015. Archived March 24, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/xmOUW
- Michael Bastasch. “Study Predicts Decades Of Global Cooling Ahead,” The Daily Caller, May 28, 2015. Archived March 24, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/9ftpd
- Michael Bastasch. “Paper: Global Warming? More Like Global Cooling,” The Daily Caller, March 3, 2015. Archived March 24, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/tZDKH
- Michael Bastasch. “Study: Solar Radiation Has Been Melting Siberian Ice For 7,000 Years,” The Daily Caller, January 28, 2015. Archived March 23, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/uKyQX
- Anthony Watts. “Study: Siberian permafrost has been warming for 7000 years,” Watts Up With That, January 27, 2015. Archived March 23, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/2gc0M
- Emily Atkin. “Scientist Slams Daily Caller For Distorting His Research To Suggest Climate Change Is Fake,” ThinkProgress, February 2, 2015. Archived March 23, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/NGIka
- Eric Owens. “US college professor demands imprisonment for climate-change deniers,” The Daily Caller, March 17, 2014. Archived August 14, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/U61An
- Graham Readfearn. “Exclusive: Climate Change Philosopher A Target Of Abusive Hate Campaign,” DeSmog, March 25, 2014.
- Lawrence Torcello. “Is misinformation about the climate criminally negligent?” The Conversation, March 13, 2014. Archived August 14, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/1cKnO
- Lisa Graves. “Trained on Koch: Daily Caller Claims Fake Rebuttal of CMD on ALEC Role Promoting ‘Stand Your Ground’ Laws,” PR Watch, June 18, 2012. Archived March 24, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/D7Sk8
- “Controversial Daily Caller Editor Admitted to Posing As Radical Animal Rights Activist,” Mother Jones, March 15, 2013. Archived August 12, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/IzVtl
- “Betsy Rothstein. “The Daily Caller Hires Glee Club Conductor With Rap Sheet as New Executive Editor,” Adweek, July 20, 2011. Archived August 12, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/sNdK7
- Ginni Thomas. “Leaders with Ginni Thomas: Lord Christopher Monckton,” The Daily Caller, November 13, 2011. Archived August 15, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/Nr8uY
- Graham Readfearn. “Monckton Reaches New Heights of Anti-Environmentalism,” DeSmog, November 18, 2011.
- Graham Readfearn. “Conservative Funders of Climate Denial Are Quietly Spending Millions To Generate More Partisan Journalism,” DeSmog, June 15, 2016.
- “Contact Us,” The Daily Caller. Archived August 16, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/gfaZH
- Calvin Sloan. “Exposed: Tucker Carlson, His ‘Charity,’ and the Trump Campaign Cash He Didn’t Tell FOX Viewers About,” Exposed by CMD, June 1, 2017. Archived November 27, 2018. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.fo/KwKyw
- Callum Borchers. “Charity doubles as a profit stream at the Daily Caller News Foundation,” The Washington Post, June 2, 2017. Archived November 27, 2018. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.fo/btHzP
- “Charles Koch Is Funding Rightwing, Pro-Trump Media, New Disclosure Reveals,” Sludge, November 21, 2018. Archived November 27, 2018. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.fo/LvTYZ
- “In unearthed audio, Tucker Carlson makes numerous misogynistic and perverted comments,” Media Matters for America, March 10, 2019. Archived March 11, 2019. Archived .mp4 on file at DeSmog. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.fo/vfQGS
- Sara Fischer. “Facebook adds 2 new fact-checking partners,” Axios, April 17, 2019. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.fo/TfTwi
- “A Message to Our Community Regarding the Facebook Fact-Checking Partnership.” Snopes, February 1, 2019. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.fo/Fw26y
- Sam Levin. “‘They don’t care’: Facebook factchecking in disarray as journalists push to cut ties,” The Guardian, December 13, 2018. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.fo/CKyNL
- Sam Levin. “Facebook teams with rightwing Daily Caller in factchecking program,” The Guardian, April 17, 2019. Archived April 25, 2019. Archive.is URL: http://archive.is/lljaF
- “The Daily Caller,” SourceWatch.
- “The Daily Caller,” Wikipedia.