Donald (Don) Keiller
- Ph.D., Plant Biochemistry, Cambridge University (1982). 
- M.A., Natural Sciences, Cambridge University (1980). 
- P.G.C.E., Cambridge University (1978). 
Don Keiller is the former Deputy Head of Life Sciences at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge. He has conducted biochemical research, photobiology, and worked with the Cambridge University Department of Plant Sciences, according to his archived profile at the university. , 
His interest in climate change, he has said, appeared when concerns were first raised about the environmental effects of the hole in the ozone layer.
Keiller has been critical of the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit (CRU), and submitted a memorandum to parliament contending that “Professor Jones and colleagues at CRU conspired to obstruct reasonable and legitimate requests for access to scientific data.” He was one of the individuals who used the F.O.I. Act to request data from CRU. 
Stance on Climate Change
Keiller has said that climate change “is happening, but not catastrophic and not primarily CO2 driven.” 
“All too often we hear that there is a scientific ‘consensus’ on climate change and its causes. If this were the case why then is increasing evidence to the contrary being published in peer-reviewed scientific journals?” 
“What these emails reveal is a detailed and systematic conspiracy to prevent other scientists gaining access to CRU data sets. Such obstruction strikes at the very heart of the scientific method, that is the scrutiny and verification of data and results by one’s peers.” 
Keiller has been critical of the scientists at the centre of the CRU hack. He claims that Professor Jones and his colleagues conspired to withhold information that could have been used to criticize them. 
One of the hacked emails was from Keiller himself. In an e-mail to Keith Briffa, Keiller describes himself as an ‘environmental plant physiologist’ and writes that “Given the scientific, political and economic importance of these papers, further detailed explanation is urgently required.” 
In another e-mail to Briffa, Keiller says “I find your explanations lacking in scientific rigour and I am more inclined to believe the analysis of McIntyre,” sand links to the website Climate Audit. He is most likely referring to Steve McIntyre, ex-mining industry executive and founder of the Climate Audit blog. McIntyre’s eduction is in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics, not climate change.
Keiller has submitted at least eight separate submissions to the Muir Russell Climategate Enquiry:
- 14/03/10 (PDF)
- 06/03/10 (PDF)
- 26/02/10 (PDF)
- 23/02/10 (PDF)
- 20/02/10 (PDF)
- 17/02/10 (PDF)
- 17/02/10 (PDF)
He also submitted a Memorandum to the UK Parliament where he asserts that the CRU e-mails reveal a “detailed and systematic conspiracy.” Keiller believes that until the CRU‘s data in its entirety is released to the public, “all peer-reviewed publications whose conclusions rely on CRU‘s temperature records must be withdrawn as ‘unproven’,” and that “all policy decisions based on this data and conclusions drawn from it are also unsafe, until proven otherwise.” 
In July, 2011, the CRU released temperature records going back 150 years from 5113 weather stations around the world. 
Trevor Davies, the university’s pro-vice-chancellor for research had the following statement: “We released [the dataset] to dispel the myths that the data have been inappropriately manipulated, and that we are being secretive. Some sceptics argue we must have something to hide, and we’ve released the data to pull the rug out from those who say there isn’t evidence that the global temperature is increasing.”
- Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge — Now-retired Deputy Head of Life Sciences. , 
- Principia Scientific International (PSI) — Member. 
- @KeillerDon on Twitter
- Don Keiller on LinkedIn
Keiller’s profile at the Anglia Ruskin University lists 20 publications, primarily in the area of plant sciences. He has not published any articles in peer-reviewed journals on the subject of climate change, and does not appear to have any background in this area.
- “Dr Don Keiller, PhD,” Anglia Ruskin University. Archived March 9, 2017.
- “Memorandum submitted by Dr D R Keiller (CRU 23),” Parliament UK March 24, 2010.
- “More Shouty E-mails : Giving Scepticism a Bad Name,” Joe Abbess (blog), August 25, 2010.
- Comment #12 on “London calling,” Nature: The Wildlife Blog, May 21, 2006.
- Richard Gray. “Row over leaked climate emails may undermine reputation of science,” The Telegraph, March 7, 2010. Archived March 16, 2014.
- Alleged CRU e-mails Letters filename “1256760240.txt,” eastangliaemails.com. Archived November 23, 2010.
- Andy Coghlan. “OK, climate sceptics: here’s the raw data you wanted,” New Scientist, July 28, 2011.
- “Don Keiller,” LinkedIn. Accessed December 2, 2020. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmog.
- “As a recently retired academic …” Twitter post by user @KeillerDon, July 2, 2020. Archived .png on file at DeSmog.
- “A SELECTION OF MEMBER BIOGRAPHIES,” Principia Scientific International. Archived April 3, 2014. Archive URL: https://archive.vn/O32Ws
- “Don Keiller,” SourceWatch Profile.