Joseph (Joe) D’Aleo
- BS, MS, University of Wisconsin. 
- Attended Doctoral program at NYU.
Note: While some sources mention that Joe D’Aleo attended studies at NYU, it is unclear if he graduated.
Joseph D’Aleo is a former college professor of Meteorology at Lyndon State College.
He is the Executive Director and Certified Consultant Meteorologist of the International Climate and Environmental Change Assessment Project (ICECAP), an organization of climate change skeptics.
D’Aleo was the first Director of Meteorology at the cable TV Weather Channel and was ex-Chief Meteorologist at Weather Services International Corporation and Senior Editor of “Dr. Dewpoint” for WSI’s Intellicast.com web site.
According to leaked documents, D’Aleo is one of a number of climate change skeptics who receives funding from the Heartland Institute, an organization at the forefront of climate science denial in the U.S.
Stance on Climate Change
“Sunspot cycles and their effects on oceans correlate with climate changes. Studying these and other factors suggests that a cold, not warm, climate may be in our future.” 
“[The IPCC‘s] models treat the oceans as distilled water when in reality they are an infinite buffer for atmospheric CO2. Burning all the earth’s fossil fuels would amount to no more than a 20 percent increase. It could never double(2). In any event, ice cores tell us carbon dioxide lags, not leads, the temperatures by as much as 800 years.” 
February 4, 2018
In January 2018, more than 200 scientists endorsed an open letter calling on the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) to remove climate change denier Rebekah Mercer from its board and to “end ties to anti-science propagandists and funders of climate science misinformation.” The New York Times reported that those among the AMNH letter calling for Mercer to step down were Michael E. Mann, director of the Earth System Science Center at Pennsylvania State University, and Katharine Hayhoe, director of the Climate Science Center at Texas Tech University. 
D’Aleo was among a group of climate change deniers who responded with their own open letter, calling for the AMNH “not to cave in to this pressure.” The letter was signed by numerous individuals with ties to groups funded by the Mercer Family Foundation such as Will Happer of the CO2 CoalitionRichard Lindzen, a fellow at the Cato InstituteCraig Idso, the chairman of the Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change. There are a number of signatories affiliated with the Heartland Institute, which has received over $5.78 million from the Mercer Family Foundation since 2008. 
“The Earth has supported abundant life many times in the geological past when there were much higher levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. It is quite likely that future generations will benefit from the enrichment of Earth’s atmosphere with more carbon dioxide.
“Make no mistake, the agitators are not defending science from quackery — quite the contrary!”
Joseph D’Aleo is one of several climate change skeptics cc’d on an email from S. Fred Singer in hopes of countering the documentary film “Merchants of Doubt,” which exposes the network of climate change skeptics and deniers trying to delay legislative action on climate change.
The October, 2014 email was leaked to journalists before the documentary was released. “Can I sue for damages?” Singer asked in the email. “Can we get an injunction against the documentary?”
InsideClimate News reports in their article “Leaked Email Reveals Who’s Who List of Climate Denialists,” how “Many of those copied on the email thread, such as Singer and communications specialist Steven Milloy, have financial ties to the tobacco, chemical, and oil and gas industries and have worked to defend them since the 1990s.” 
InsideClimate News also documented all those who were cc’d on the email, including the following skeptics and groups:
- Ron Arnold
- Timothy Ball
- Joseph “Joe” Bast
- Joe Bastardi
- Michael Bastasch
- William Briggs
- Russell Cook
- Judith Curry
- Joe D’Aleo
- James Delingpole
- David Paul Driessen
- James Enstrom
- Steve Goddard
- Pierre Gosselin
- Greenie Watch
- William Happer
- Jim Lakely
- Patrick J. Michaels
- Steven J. Milloy
- Christopher Monckton
- Marc Morano
- Joanne Nova
- Roger Pielke Sr. (Or Roger Pielke Jr. – Unclear in Email)
- Thomas P. Sheahen
- S. Fred Singer
- Wei-Hock (Willie) Soon
- Roy Spencer
- James Taylor
- Anthony Watts
DeSmogBlog covered the emails here: “Merchants of Doubt Film Debuts, Textbook Denial Attack Campaign Led By Fred Singer Ensues” and DeSmogBlog also archived a full copy of the Singer email thread (PDF).
July 7–9, 2014
Panel 10: “Ice Age Conditions, the Cryosphere, and Recent Cold Winters
Panel 10: Q & A
DeSmogBlog has done in-depth research on the other speakers and sponsors from Heartland’s ICCC9, which can be found here.
May 27, 2011
Joseph D’Aleo was one of fourteen Amici, described as “well-qualified climate scientists,” who claimed that the “EPA‘s endangerment finding is not ‘rational’ and therefore arbitrary and capricious.” 
“[T]he Earth’s climate is not changing in an unusual or anomalous fashion. The EPA relied on instrumental data that were adjusted to exaggerate the increase in global temperatures.”
Petitioners listed were:
- Timothy F. Ball
- Joseph S. D’Aleo
- Don J. Easterbrook
- Anthony Finizza
- William Happer
- Benjamin M. Herman
- Craig D. Idso
- Richard A. Keen
- Anthony R. Lupo
- Nicola Scafetta
- Roy W. Spencer
- George H. Taylor
- James P. Wallace III
- George T. Wolff
His speech, titled “How Climategate sheds light on Global Data Integrity Issues” can be viewed below.
DeSmog has done research on the co-sponsors of the conference and found that 19 of the 65 sponsors (including Heartland itself) have received a total of over $40 million in funding since 1985 from ExxonMobil, Koch Industries family foundations or the Scaife family foundations.
D’Aleo co-wrote (with “computer expert” E. Michael Smith) a report commissioned by the Science and Public Policy Institute to investigate what has become known as “climategate.”
Together, they claim to have discovered “manipulation of the temperature data by the U.S. government’s two primary climate centers: the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) in Asheville, North Carolina and the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) at Columbia University in New York City.” 
D’aleo also appeared on the television special “Global Warming: The Other Side,” which aired on January 14 at KUSI–TV, and featured a section on “ClimateGate.” The program is introduced by John Coleman, and features other prominent climate change skeptics including Christopher Monckton, Richard Lindzen, S. Fred Singer, Craig D. Idso, and Willie Soon.
March 30, 2009
D’Aleo’s signature is displayed alongside a full-page ad funded by the CATO institute that appeared in numerous newspapers including the Washington Post, the New York Times and the Chicago Tribune in 2009.
The advertisement responds to President Obama’s declaration that “few challenges facing America and the world are more urgent than combating climate change. The science is beyond dispute and the facts are clear” by saying that “with all due respect Mr. President, that is not true.” It goes on to describe how “there has been no net global warming for over a decade,” and how global warming is “grossly overstated.” 
His speech, titled “Data Integrity Issues, Natural Variability and Climate Change” can be viewed below.
DeSmogBlog researched the funding behind the conference and found that sponsor organizations had collectively received over $47 million from energy companies and right-wing foundations, with 78% of that total coming from the Scaife Family of foundations.
July 14, 2008
Joseph D’Aleo was signatory to an open letter to United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon calling for the UN to “lead the UN into abandoning the CO2-based theory of global warming and nullifying its former recommendations.” 
“The assertion that the recent rapid rise of CO2 is unique and dangerous is both deceptive and irrelevant because CO2 does not drive the world’s climate,” the letter claimed, adding “ there is clearly no evidence for the CO2-based theory of global warming. Indeed, there is only evidence against it.” 
The letter was signed by many notable climate change deniers, including but not limited to: 
His speech, titled “Solar Irradiance and Oceans are the True Drivers of Climate Change” can be viewed below.
February 5, 2007
Co-authored the Fraser Institute’s Independent Summary For Policymakers which criticized the Independent Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). The IPCC‘s own Summary For Policymakers was released shortly before the Fraser Institute document (PDF).
Oct 20, 2006
Registered the domain name ICECAP.US.
- ICECAP — Executive Director and Certified Consultant Meteorologist. 
- Science and Public Policy Institute (SPPI) — Meteorology Advisor. 
- Tech Central Station (TCS) — Contributor and past “Certified Consultant Meteorologist.” 
- Fraser Institute — On the “writing team” for the Fraser Institute’s Independent Summary For Policymakers (ISPM).
- Heartland Institute — “Expert.” 
- Galileo Movement — “Independent Adviser.” 
- @joseph_aleo on Twitter
- Joseph D’Aleo and Don Easterbrook. “Multidecadal Tendencies in Enso and Global Temperatures Related to Multidecal Oscillations” (PDF). Energy & Environment, Volume 21, Number 5, pp. 437-460, September 2010. Republished by SPPI.
According to a search of WorldCat, Energy & Environment is carried in only 25 libraries worldwide. The journal is not included in Journal Citation Reports, which lists the impact factors for the top 6000 peer-reviewed journals.
ICECAP mentions that D’Aleo has written a number of papers as well as published a book on “advanced applications enabled by new technologies and how research into ENSO and other atmospheric and oceanic phenomena has made skillful seasonal forecasts possible.”
- Joseph D’Aleo and George Taylor. “Temperature Cycles in North America, Greenland and the Arctic, Relationship to Miltidecadal Ocean Cycles and Solar Trends” (PDF). ICECAP.
- “Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow…” June 2, 2006. Tech Central Station.
- “Is it Really the Warmest Ever?” Jan. 28, 2011. The Energy Tribune.
- “Note to the Administration so-called ‘Science Team’, the EPA and Supreme Court: CO2 is Not a Pollutant but a Huge Benefactor” (PDF). ICECAP.
- “Experts,” ICECAP. Accessed December 6, 2011.
- “Is Global Warming on the Wane?” The Old Farmer’s Almanac, 2009.
- “Global Warming – Is Carbon Dioxide Getting a Bad Rap?” The Energy Tribune, July 9, 2007.
- “Fourth International Conference on Climate Change, Program,” (PDF) Heartland Institute, Archived January 23, 2018.
- “NASA Climategate Exposed,” The SPPI Blog, January 15, 2010.
- “Climate Change Reality,” The Cato Institute.
- “Personnel,” The Science and Public Policy Institute. Accessed December 6, 2011.
- “Joseph D’Aleo: Certified Consultant Meteorologist,” TCS Daily. Archived, October 16, 2007.
- “Heartland Experts: Joseph D’Aleo,” The Heartland Institute. Accessed March, 2012.
- Katherine Bagley. “Leaked Email Reveals Who’s Who List of Climate Denialists,” InsideClimate News. March 12, 2015.
- “Return of Climate Denial-a-Palooza: Heartland Institute Hitches Anti-Science Wagon to Vegas FreedomFest,” DeSmogBlog, July 7, 2014. Archived July 14, 2014.
- COALITION FOR RESPONSIBLE REGULATION, INC., ET AL. (Petitioners) v. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY AND LISA P. JACKSON, ADMINISTRATOR, Respondents (PDF). Retrieved from World Climate Report. Archived .pdf on file at Desmog.
- “Who We Are,” Galileo Movement. Archived September 24, 2016. Archive. is URL: https://archive.is/iyn7s
- Robin Pogrebin and Somini Sengupta. “A Science Denier at the Natural History Museum? Scientists Rebel,” The New York Times, January 25, 2018. Archived February 13, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/tAIv4
- Graham Readfearn. “Climate Science Deniers Defend New York’s American Museum of Natural History From Calls to Drop Trustee Rebekah Mercer,” DeSmog, February 6, 2018.
- mnh18-feb4-petitionletter (PDF – Untitled). Retrieved from Watts Up With That.
- “Second International Conference on Climate Change, Program,” (PDF) Heartland Institute. Archived January 23, 2018.
- “First International Conference on Climate Change, Program” (PDF) Heartland institute. Archived January 23, 2018.
- “The UN Climate Change Panel must be called to account and cease its deceptive practices- Policies based on false science must be ended” (PDF), July 14, 2008. Retrieved from ilovemycarbondioxide.com. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmog.