Robert (Bob) C. Shoup
- M.S. Geology, University of Oklahoma (1980). 
- B.A. Geology, Winona State University (1975). Note that some sources list his BA as 1978. , 
Bob Shoup is a Petroleum Geologist and consultant for the oil and gas industry. Shoup worked for Shell Oil for over eighteen years, and has discovered or helped to discover more than 100 million barrels equivalent (MMBeq) over his career. , 
Shoup has written numerous newspaper pieces and opinion articles skeptical of man-made global warming science. One of his publications was mentioned in a collection of evidence presented by Senator James Inhofe suggesting flaws in mainstream global warming science. 
According to his profile (.doc) in a speech he made to the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) he worked as Senior Geologist consulting for PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP) in Bangkok while managing his own consulting company. 
As of 2000, Shoup worked in Houston with Samson Offshore where he oversaw all Gulf of Mexico oil exploration. Most recently, he is a training and consulting manager at Subsurface Consultants & Associates for the Asia Pacific Region. He is also CEO of Clastic Reservoir Systems. He is also a member of the executive committee for the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG). , , 
Stance on Climate Change
February 27, 2013
“Human kind does better when it’s warmer. Why on Earth would we spend billions of dollars to make it colder?”
January 13, 2010
“The theory of Anthropomorphic Climate Warming (AGW) rests on a three-legged stool. The first leg of the stool is that is that global average temperatures are at historic highs. The second leg of the stool is that CO2 levels are also at historic highs. The third leg of the stool is that peer-reviewed articles on global warming show a clear consensus of opinion. The recent release of e-mails from Britain’s Climate Research Unit, dubbed ‘climategate’ by the media, have made available information that kicks all three legs out from under the stool.”
October 25, 2009
In an article where Bob Shoup likened the IPCC to a criminal syndicate, he concluded: 
“The assertion that humans have caused global warming is fraudulent. It began under a mandate from the IPCC to find a human cause for climate change… .It is perpetuated by climate scientists who make a living playing virtual reality games. Together, this adds up to Grand Theft-Climate, and you are the victim.”
“The hypothesis of Anthropogenic Global Warming does not yet meet the basic scientific standards of proof needed to be accepted as a viable hypothesis, much less as accepted fact.” 
March 7, 2014
“When one looks at the data, we can see that it has, in fact, been manipulated. At least the temperature station records maintained by NASA’s Goddard Institute of Space Studies (GISS). Sometime between 2008 and 2012, temperature records in NASA’s GISS data base have been altered to show up to 2o more warming has actually occurred […]”
August 30, 2010
Writing in a Canada Free Press article titled “Elitism or Arrogance,” Shoup declared:
“When a climate scientist calls me a denier, or a columnist from the New York Times or the Washington Post calls me a racist, I can wear the terms with pride. Not because I am a denier or a racist, but because I know that for those individuals, calling me a name is a sign of how desperate they are.” 
January 13, 2010
Shoup wrote an article at the conservative online journal Canada Free Press titled “Agendaism and Fraud; the Sordid Tale of Climate ‘Science’”:
“Global warming was never about the science, it was about money and power. There are several different agendas in play; world governance and wealth redistribution, population control, and, of course, money.” 
September 6, 2009
In an article where he argued environmental groups are irrational for defending endangered species over California’s agricultural business, Shoup declared: 
“Based on their record, one could claim that Earth Justice and the NRDC [Natural Resources Defense Council] have more in common with Hamas and Hezbollah than they do with conservation groups. Hamas and Hezbollah hide behind a shield of women and children while seeking to destroy Israel. Earth Justice and the NRDC hide behind the shield of environmentalism while seeking to destroy the businesses and small-town America they seem to hold in contempt.”
February 27, 2013
Bob Shoup gave a talk at a Houston Geological Society event. His talk was titled “What are Global Temperatures Doing and Why are They Doing it?” 
July 24, 2008
The U.S. Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works quoted Shoup’s article, titled “Science Under Attack,” and said that it had “debunked global warming fears.” One version (PDF) of the Committee Report describes Shoup’s article as a “scientific study.” 
The Senate Committee describes the article as appearing in an “American Association of Petroleum Geologists Publication.” After extensive searching, no scientific studies titled “Science Under Attack” appear to have been written by Robert Shoup in that journal.
However, there does appear to be a newsletter section titled “Science Under Attack” written by Shoup for The Correlator—a small newsletter of the AAPG‘s Division of Professional Affairs (DPA). Shoup has been chair of publications for DPA as well as the editor of The Correlator. , 
The report itself appears to be unavailable. According to Shoup, “Due to the controversy surrounding Global Warming, The Correlator was moved to the Members Only Section of the AAPG Web Site.” 
- Subsurface Consultants & Associates, LLC — International training and consulting manager (since May 2010). 
- Clastic Reservoir Systems — CEO. 
- Hilcorp — Senior geologist (2002–2003). 
- Shell Oil — Past Shell Offshore team leader. Staff geologist, 1979–1999. , 
- Samson Offshore — Oversaw Gulf of Mexico Exploration. 
- PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP) — Former senior geologist.
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG*) — Regions Vice President and Member of Executive Committee (2019–2021). Shoup has had a wide range of other roles since 1979. 
- South East Asia Petroleum Exploration Society (SEAPEX) — Past Regional Coordinator. 
“In recent decades global temperatures have risen. Yet, our planet has been far warmer and cooler than today many times in the geologic past, including the past 10,000 years.” 
Robert Shoup has not published any peer-reviewed articles on the subject of climate change. Shoup has conducted studies for the purposes of oil and gas exploration.
Shoup regularly publishes skeptical science articles at Canada Free Press. He is also editor of the “Science Under Attack” section of The Correlator, a newsletter of the AAPG available only to members.
Shoup appears to have written several articles (paywalled at AAPG), almost all relating to petroleum exploration, with one on global warming:
- “What Are Global Temperatures Doing, and Why Are They Doing It?” Houston Geological Society Bulletin, Volume 55, No. 06, February 27, 2013. Pages 47 and 49.
- “Biographical Sketch,” HGS Meetings, February 7, 2000.
- “A review and technical summary of the AAPG Hedberg Research Conference ‘Variations in fluvial-deltaic and coastal reservoirs deposited in tropical environments’,” AAPG Bulletin, Vol. 94, No. 10 (October 2010).
- “Part 2: 2007: Global Warming Alarmism Reaches A Tipping Point,” U.S. Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works, October 26, 2007. Archived February 27, 2009. Archive URL: https://archive.ph/rwi1r
- “SPE MEETING – THURSDAY 24th JULY 2008” (.doc), SPE International (Thailand Section).
- “Part 2: 2007: Global Warming Alarmism Reaches A Tipping Point,” U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, October 26, 2007. Archived July 31, 2008. Archive URL: https://archive.ph/pqlnZ
- “Agendaism and Fraud; the Sordid Tale of Climate ‘Science’,” Canada Free Press, January 13, 2010. Archived November 27, 2019. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.ph/naL5S
- “Elitism or Arrogance,” Canada Free Press, August 30, 2010.
- “Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007.
Senate Report Debunks ‘Consensus’” (PDF), U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, December 20, 2007.
- “Division of Professional Affairs Council Meeting November 18, 2006” (PDF). Retrieved February, 2012, from the Division of Professional Affairs of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists. No longer available online.
- “2008 ANNUAL REPORT” (PDF), The American Association of Petroleum Geologists.
- “Annual Report: Publications Committee” (PDF), Submitted Bob Shoup, April 1, 2008, to the American Association of Petroleum Geologists.
- “AAPG Statement: Climate Change,” Division of Professional Affairs of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists. Archived July 19, 2011..
- “Evaluating Structure Maps and Basin Evaluation by Bob Shoup,” AAPG. Archived November 27, 2019. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.ph/Me3rG
- “Robert Shoup,” LinkedIn. Accessed November 26, 2019. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmog.
- “Executive Committee: Robert C. Shoup,” AAPG. Archived November 27, 2019. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.ph/CYAY9
- “Leadership,” AAPG. Archived November 27, 2019. Archive URL: https://archive.ph/iG3qT
- Bob Shoup. “Lying for the Good of Society,” Canada Free Press, March 7, 2014. Archived November 27, 2019. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.ph/P5DIk
- Bob Shoup. “Agendaism and Fraud; the Sordid Tale of Climate ‘Science’,” Canada Free Press, January 13, 2010. Archived November 27, 2019. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.ph/Dpsjh
- “Grand Theft-Climate,” Canada Free Press, October 25, 2009. Archived November 27, 2019. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.ph/AyqSs
- Bob Shoup. “Which of these two endangered species is worth saving?” Canada Free Press, September 6, 2009. Archived November 27, 2019. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.ph/7VBeE
- “Bob Shoup- Climate Change- What are Temperatures Doing?” YouTube video uploaded by user “HGSGeoEducation,” March 7, 2013. Archived .mp4 on file at DeSmog.