Steven Goddard (Tony Heller)
Steven Goddard is a climate science denier, regular contributor to WattsUpWithThat (WUWT), and operator of ”The Deplorable Climate Science Blog.” The name “Steven Goddard” is a pseudonym used by Tony Heller, which he confirmed himself in June 2014. , , , , 
Tony Heller describes himself as “an independent thinker who is considered a heretic by the orthodoxy on both sides of the climate debate.” He has degrees in Geology and Electrical Engineering, and lives in Columbia, Maryland. He describes global warming as the “biggest scientific fraud in history.” , 
Steven Goddard is known for a 2008 article in The Register where he posited that Arctic Sea ice is not receding and claimed that data from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) showing the opposite was incorrect. Goddard later issued a retraction on his statement. , 
Stance on Climate Change
“Make no mistake about it, global warming is the biggest scientific fraud in history.” 
“Global warming is indeed Mann-made, by Michael Mann and James Hansen. But it has nothing to do with climate or science.” 
“”The 97% consensus quoted daily by Barack Obama is based on a few fraudulent studies of a handful of published papers.”
“There is no global warming crisis. There is a crisis of the White House having government agencies manipulate data, in pursuit of their global warming agenda. There is also a crisis of the White House attacking the Bill of Rights in pursuit of their global warming agenda.” 
February 24, 2017
“My takeaway from that [Craig Idso’s talk] is that efforts to reduce CO2 are not only anti-science, but they’re anti-human.” 
“I completely agree with Fred [Singer] that there probably has been little or no warming since the 1940s.” 
“The Arctic did not experience the meltdowns forecast by NSIDC and the Norwegian Polar Year Secretariat. It didn’t even come close. Additionally, some current graphs and press releases from NSIDC seem less than conservative. There appears to be a consistent pattern of overstatement related to Arctic ice loss.” 
“Nothing about climate science reeks more of confirmation bias, than the changes scientists make to their own data sets over time. They all show exactly the same pattern of monotonically cooling the past and warming the present, regardless of the instrumentation.” 
“Climate fraudsters say that glaciers melting is an ‘early sign of global warming.’ They are lying. Glaciers have been melting for a very long time, and were melting during NASA’s claimed coldest years ever.” 
“”In summary, the NASA global and US temperature records are neither accurate, nor credible representations of reality.” 
“The claimed agreement in temperature data is simply not legitimate. The people involved know that their data is inadequate, tampered and largely made up. […] The reason that the data sets agree is due to collusion, not independent research as they claim. It is the biggest scientific fraud in history.” 
“NASA scientists have a strong conflict of interest in that they expect to see warming, and they the more alarm they create, the more money they obtain. This is why climate scientists have no business touching the temperature data. They have no training in signal processing and they have shown repeatedly that they will alter data to suit their needs.” 
“NASA shows 3.24 mm/year sea level rise on their web site. They call it ‘Facts’ – when in fact it is blatant fraud.” 
“In 1927, CO2 levels were very low. An endless series of disasters struck the world, and glaciers were rapidly melting. What we can conclude from all this is:
1. The climate was not better at lower levels of CO2
2. The climate would not get better if we reduced CO2 levels
3. The NASA temperature record is complete garbage” 
Comments Surrounding 2021 Capitol Insurrection
Tony Heller (@Tony_Heller on Twitter) was among dozens of the individuals and organizations profiled in DeSmog’s Disinformation Database who posted online or gave interviews about the events surrounding the Jan. 6, 2021 Capitol insurrection. Some posted claims of election fraud, similar to those that drove the Stop the Steal rally on Jan. 6. Some circulated dubious information about the insurrection itself. DeSmog has preserved a selection of notable posts related to the events of Jan. 6, 2021, including some that were later deleted or removed.
Heller also uploaded a video in which a participant in the failed Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection claims that antifa had infiltrated the mob:
In another video, a person identified as “Katherine” says “All of us were fairly peaceful. There were a couple undercover ANTIFA that were in the group. They were disguised. Some of them had red bandanas but most of them were wearing like Trump hats either backwards or like loosely fitted in order to kind of like stand themselves out”:
In that video, a person identified as “Katherine” says “All of us were fairly peaceful. There were a couple undercover ANTIFA that were in the group. They were disguised. Some of them had red bandanas but most of them were wearing like Trump hats either backwards or like loosely fitted in order to kind of like stand themselves out.”
The Washington Post reported on Jan. 7, 2021, in response to similar claims, “In fact, many of the Trump supporters who stormed into the Capitol openly boasted about their participation, live-streaming as they forced their way past police and bashed the building’s doors and windows.” , , , , 
The following is from a video Tony Heller released titled “Insurgents In The Capital [sic]”:
[00:08:51] Whatever was going on there doesn’t really look like a plot by the president of the United States to overthrow his own government. The way this has been portrayed by the press seems to have little to do with reality. I don’t know what happened there that day, but it looks a lot more like a coup to overthrow the president of the United States than the other way around. [00:09:10]
@Tony_Heller posted the following on Jan. 7, 2021 and on Jan. 11, 2021:
“They’ve quadrupled warming mainly by cooling past temperatures and warming present temperatures,” Heller claimed in the video. “When you’re willing to manipulate data you can show any result you want, and they wanted to show warming,” He concluded.
March 5, 2018
Heller posed for a photo with Chris Horner, Marc Morano, and Steve Milloy of Junk Science at what appeared to be an event promoting Morano’s new book,The Politically Incorrect Guide to Climate Change, by Regnery Publishing. Horner had written the first version of the book in 2007. 
Heller described them as the “The Washington DC global warming scam demolition team.” He also tweeted the image: 
The front four of Team Climate Denier pic.twitter.com/cN7ZwJ3Cxs
— Steve Goddard (@SteveSGoddard) March 5, 2018
Tony Heller is listed as a contributor to the upcoming release of Climate Change: The Facts 2017, a book released by the Institute for Public Affairs (IPA) and edited by Jennifer Marohasy. While investigating the authors, DeSmog noted that one of the IPA‘s listed “leading experts” involved in the book is New Zealand’s Ken Ring, who in addition to being a described “long range weather forecaster” has written “two, possibly three, books about cats” including Pawmistry: How to Read Your Cat’s Paws in 1998. 
“Climate Change: The Facts 2017 brings together contributions on the latest climate science from some of the world’s leading experts in the field including John Abbot, Sallie Baliunas, Paul Driessen, Tony Heller, Craig Idso, Clive James, Pat Michaels, Jo Nova, Ian Plimer, Tom Quirk, Peter Ridd, Ken Ring, Nicola Scafetta, Willie Soon, Roy Spencer, and Anthony Watts.
August 23, 2017
Apart from himself, Heller does not cite any external sources to explain how he reached his conclusion. However, he signs off with a final statement that “This is the biggest and most cynical scam in science history.” 
Writing at Breitbart, James Delingpole shared Goddard’s graph, echoing his sentiment that “All of recent U.S. warming has been faked by NOAA.”
“You don’t need to be a scientist to see the hoax here: it’s there in blue and red,” Delingpole wrote. 
February 24, 2017
Tony Heller was the moderator of a discussion panel sponsored by the CO2 Coalition at the 2017 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). The panel included Kathleen Hartnett-White and Craig Idso of the CO2 Coalition. View video of the event at the Energy & Environment Legal Institute’s Facebook page. 
Heller, a self-described “lifelong environmentalist,” began his introduction by describing his regular commute by bicycle past the Valmont coal-fired power plant near his home in Boulder Colorado. It was “Beautiful clean coal, it puts out no visible pollution whatsoever. 24/7 reliable power,” Heller said of the coal plant. 
“When I was a kid, you know, growing up in school, we all leaned that carbon dioxide was a good thing,” Heller said in the introduction. “That it was essential for life. Photosynthesis required chlorophyl, carbon dioxide, water, and sunshine in order to create life. So it’s kind of odd to see this transition over the past few decades where carbon dioxide got demonized. It started out as a good thing, essential for life. […] Now we’re told that tiny amounts of carbon dioxide can destroy all life.” 
Before introducing Craig Idso, who would be “doing the science,” Heller asked, “Which one is the true story? Is carbon dioxide essential for life? Is it a good thing? Or is it something that’s going to destroy the planet?” 
After Idso finished his talk, Heller noted: 
“My takeaway from that [Craig Idso’s talk] is that efforts to reduce CO2 are not only anti-science, but they’re anti-human.” 
February 23, 2017
Tony Heller was a speaker on a CPAC 2017 panel sponsored by the Energy and Environment Legal Institute (E&E Legal) titled “Fake Climate News Camouflaging an Anti-Capitalist Agenda – and What President Trump Plans To Do About It,” according to the CPAC agenda (PDF). 
E&E News reported that the panel included fellow climate change deniers Steve Milloy and James Delingpole. Heller accused the government of manipulating statistics to make people “absurd” and “fake news” regarding climate change. 
“Right now, conservatives get blamed for every bad weather event and for climate change, right. It’s our fault,” Heller said. “But hundreds of years ago, it was witches who were blamed for it.” 
February 7, 2017
Tony Heller received an invitation by Senator Doug Ericksen to speak at the Senate Energy, Environment and Telecommunications committee at the Washington State Capitol in Olympia. 
“I see that global warming has become a distraction which has derailed the environmental movement,” Heller said during his presentation. 
Heller went on to claim that climate scientists have purposely altered for fabricated data to support their theories, and accused “climate alarmists” of spreading this bad data. Democratic Senator Kevin Ranker responded, saying “I feel like some of this presentation may be alternative facts.” Near the end of the presentation, a single protestor called out and said the presentation was an insult to “settled science.” 
December 12, 2016
Tony Heller was an attendee at a private meeting also attended by Trump’s EPA Transition team lead Myron Ebell on Capitol Hill. E&E News reported that the event was not open to the public or to the press and Ebell refused to give any details. The event was hosted by the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) and held in the hearing room of the Senate Environment and Public Works (EPW) Committee. The EPW committee is chaired by Senator James Inhofe who, like Trump, has described human-caused climate change as a hoax. 
DeSmog reported that the event featured the “Who’s Who of Climate Science Deniers.” Australian Senator Malcolm Roberts, who spoke at the event, also wrote that the meeting was a gathering of the Cooler Heads Coalition and then listed some of the participants on Facebook: , 
Names mentioned above included:
- Tony Heller
- Tim Ball
- Fred Singer
- Ken Haapala
- Craig Rucker
- Randy Randall
- Steve Milloy
- Marc Morano
- James Delingpole
- Chris Horner
- Myron Ebell
- Tom de Weise
- James Taylor
- Pat Michaels
- Austin Smithson
- Brandon Middleton
- Marlo Lewis
DeSmog also noted that three of the attendees—Myron Ebell, Randy Randol, and Steve Milloy—had all been part of the Global Climate Science Communications Team in the late 1990s, a group organized by the American Petroleum Institute. According to an early memo, the group said “victory will be achieved when […] Average citizens ‘understand’ (recognize) uncertainties in climate science; recognition of uncertainties becomes part of the ‘conventional wisdom’.” 
July 8–10, 2016
Steven Goddard (Tony Heller) was a speaker at 34th Annual Meeting of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness, co-sponsored by Access to Energy, the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, and Physicians for Civil Defense. 
Tony Heller’s talk was titled “The Analysis of Historical Climate Data.” He introduces his talk with the claim that “that there probably has been little or no warming since the 1940s.” View the full video below: 
DDP listed the following speakers at their event: 
- Jane Orient
- Willie Soon
- David Legates
- Mohan Doss
- Arthur Levy
- Geoffrey L. Shapiro
- Steven Hatfill
- S. Fred Singer
- Tony Heller (AKA Steven Goddard)
- Patrick Frank
- Joe Leimkuhler
- Donald W. Miller
- Howard Hayden
- Yuri Maltsev
- Stephen Jones
- Matthew Robinson
- Arthur Robinson
Steven Goddard is one of several climate change deniers cc’d on an email from S. Fred Singer in hopes of countering the documentary film “Merchants of Doubt,” which exposes the network of climate change deniers trying to delay legislative action on climate change. 
The October, 2014 email was leaked to journalists before the documentary was released. “Can I sue for damages?” Singer asked in the email. “Can we get an injunction against the documentary?” 
InsideClimate News reports in their article “Leaked Email Reveals Who’s Who List of Climate Denialists,” how “Many of those copied on the email thread, such as Singer and communications specialist Steven Milloy, have financial ties to the tobacco, chemical, and oil and gas industries and have worked to defend them since the 1990s.” 
InsideClimate News also documented all those who were cc’d on the email, including the following individuals and groups:
- Ron Arnold
- Timothy Ball
- Joseph “Joe” Bast
- Joe Bastardi
- Michael Bastasch
- William Briggs
- Russell Cook
- Judith Curry
- Joe D’Aleo
- James Delingpole
- David Paul Driessen
- James Enstrom
- Steve Goddard
- Pierre Gosselin
- Greenie Watch
- William Happer
- Jim Lakely
- Patrick J. Michaels
- Steven J. Milloy
- Christopher Monckton
- Marc Morano
- Joanne Nova
- Roger Pielke Sr. (Or Roger Pielke Jr. – Unclear in Email)
- Thomas P. Sheahen
- S. Fred Singer
- Wei-Hock (Willie) Soon
- Roy Spencer
- James Taylor
- Anthony Watts
DeSmogBlog covered the emails here: “Merchants of Doubt Film Debuts, Textbook Denial Attack Campaign Led By Fred Singer Ensues” and DeSmogBlog also archived a full copy of the Singer email thread (PDF).
July 7–9, 2014
Goddard’s report was picked up by numerous conservative media outlets including the Drudge Report, The Telegraph, and others. However, Reason magazine had previously noted that even climate denier Anthony Watts had said that Goddard made “major errors in his analysis” and criticized the implication that “numbers are being plucked out of thin air in a nefarious way.” 
Goddard was quoted by Heartland senior fellow James Taylor as having showed “how dramatically the NOAA and NASA bureaucrats have doctored the U.S. temperature data during the past several decades.” 
August 15, 2008
Steven Goddard Published an article titled “Arctic ice refuses to melt as ordered” in The Register. Goddard claimed that the National Snow and Ice Data Center plot of the extent of Arctic Sea Ice was wrong. 
However, on August 25, Goddard retracted his claim, saying that “… it is clear that the NSIDC graph is correct, and that 2008 Arctic ice is barely 10% above last year – just as NSIDC had stated.” 
Joe Romm at ThinkPogress reported that the retraction may have been too late, as Goddard’s article had already received over 70 references by blogs and websites skeptical of man-made climate change. 
- Science and Public Policy Institute (SPPI) — Contributor. 
- Watts Up With That — Regular Contributor. , 
- @Tony_Heller on Twitter,
Steve Goddard does not have a background in climate science. He has primarily published his articles in blogs and newspapers using a pseudonym. A search of Google Scholar for “Tony Heller” returned no results.
Searches for “Steve Goddard” returned results by a Computer Science Professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln unlikely to be Tony Heller.
- “About Me,” Real Science. Archived January 10, 2012. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/FKaln
- “Evaluating The Integrity Of Official Climate Records,” YouTube Video uploaded by user DDP Meetings, July 13, 2016. Archived .png on file at DeSmog.
- Heartland Institute ICCC9 Speakers List, May 2014. Archived September 24, 2014. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/8vtMO
- “Real Science Announces the Death of Steve Goddard,” Watts Up With That, April 21, 2012. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/9x8Nv
- Steven Goddard. “Arctic ice refuses to melt as ordered,” The Register, August 15, 2008. Archived September 6, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/ewavl
- Joe Romm. “A new Olympic record for retraction of a denier talking point,” ThinkProgress, August 25, 2008. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/sj2ZZ
- Real Science Homepage, Real-science.com. Archived July 3, 2012. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/Hd2d3
- “Toto Has Moved!” StevenGoddard.wordpress.com, May 3, 2016. Archived September 6, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/BHZ6e
- “NASA Hiding The Decline,” Realclimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/Ux269
- “The 100% Fraudulent Hockey Stick,” Realclimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/Jgrbu
- “The 52% Consensus,” Realclimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/IuJL3
- “The Government Knew,” Realclimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/jq52j
- “All Temperature Adjustments Monotonically Increase,” Realcimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/OTSJy
- “Disappearing Glaciers,” Realcimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/WkZB2#selection-247.0-247.21
- “Fitting An Elephant,” Realcimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/6gRUN
- “Global Temperature Record Is A Smoking Gun Of Collusion And Fraud,” Realcimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/RtA1g
- “NASA Doubling Warming Since 2001,” Realcimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/ynchk
- “NASA Sea Level Fraud,” Realcimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/N0OzS
- “Reducing CO2 – To Save The Climate,” Realcimatescience.com. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/YND1m
- “DDP 34th Annual Meeting – July 2016,” Doctors for Disaster Preparedness. Archived July 22, 2016. Backup archive url: http://archive.is/oRn3j
- Katherine Bagley. “Leaked Email Reveals Who’s Who List of Climate Denialists,” InsideClimate News. March 12, 2015.
- “Return of Climate Denial-a-Palooza: Heartland Institute Hitches Anti-Science Wagon to Vegas FreedomFest,” DeSmogBlog, July 7, 2014. Archived July 14, 2014.
- Brendan DeMelle. “Return of Climate Denial-a-Palooza: Heartland Institute Hitches Anti-Science Wagon to Vegas FreedomFest,” Desmog, July 7, 2014.
- James Taylor. “Doctored Data, Not U.S. Temperatures, Set a Record This Year,” Forbes, June 13, 2012. Archived .pdf on file at Desmog.
- “A tale of two thermometers” (PDF), the Heartland Institute, May 2, 2008. Archived .pdf on file at Desmog.
- Kevin Grandia. “Arctic Ice melt media misinformation retracted,” Desmog, August 25, 2008.
- “A new Olympic record for retraction of a denier talking point,” ThinkProgress, August 25, 2008. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/6B5hM
- Anthony Watts. “Media addicted to ‘melt’, when it it should be ‘crack’?” Watts Up With That? April 26, 2009. Archived September 5, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/75Xas
- Gareth Renowden. “Buffoons in arms: Goddard joins Monckton at SPPI,” Hot Topic, October 30, 2010.
- “Who Is Steven Goddard?” StevenGoddard.wordpress.com, June 27, 2014. Archived September 6, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/y5J2f
- Shauna Theel. “Fox News Cites Birther To Claim NASA ‘Faked’ Global Warming,” Media Matters, June 24, 2014. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/W3jv6
- Anthony Watts. “Announcements,” Watts Up With That? August 31, 2010. Archived September 6, 2016. Arhive.is URL: https://archive.is/ACWkn
- George Cahlink. “Trump EPA adviser Myron Ebell meets with Hill aides,” E&E News, December 12, 2016.
- Graham Readfearn. “Donald Trump’s Aide at EPA Myron Ebell Meets with Who’s Who of Climate Science Deniers,” DeSmog, December 13, 2016.
- “Yesterday I spoke at an event for the Competitive Enterprise Institute called Cooler Heads Coalition in Washington. […]” Facebook post by Malcolm Roberts – QLD Senate – One Nation, December 13 at 6:38 pm. Archived image on file at DeSmog.
- “Global Climate Science Communications Plan (1998),” SourceWatch.
- Jeanie Lindsay. “Climate Change Denier Gets Chilly Reception In Washington Legislature,” KUOW.org, February 7, 2017. Archived February 8, 2017. Archived .mp3 on file at DeSmog. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/ofHZ2
- “LIVE from Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) When Politics Meets Climate Forecasting with Tony Heller, Kathleen Hartnett White, and Craig Idso,” Facebook post by Energy & Environment Legal Institute, February 24, 2017. Archived .mp4 on file at DeSmog.
- “CPAC-2017-Agenda-Final” (PDF) CPAC.conservative.org, March 8, 2017. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmog.
- Amanda Reilly. “CLIMATE: Conservatives predict ‘real war’ with environmentalists,” E&E News, February 23, 2017. Archived March 8, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/MOpl2
- Graham Readfearn. “Australian Climate Denial Think Tank Picks Cat Author and Moonman Ken Ring as Climate Expert,” DeSmog, April 9, 2017.
- “Register your interest now and be the first to hear about the publication of Climate Change: The Facts 2017,” Institute of Public Affairs. Archived April 10, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/kvAFK
- “Climate Change: The facts 2014,” Catallaxyfiles.com. Archived October 31, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/Trs4Y
- “100% Of US Warming Is Fake,” The Deplorable Climate Science Blog, August 23, 2017. Archived August 23, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/lFySf
- James Delingpole. “Delingpole: All of Recent U.S. Warming Has Been Faked by NOAA,” Breitbart, August 23, 2017. Archived August 23, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/qWKpL
- “Hot Off The Press,” The Deplorable Climate Science Blog, March 7, 2018. Archived March 10, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/rocSl
- “Data Tampering Past The Climate Tipping Point,” YouTube video uploaded by user “Tony Heller,” June 24, 2019. Archived .mp4 on file at DeSmog.
- “Climate Alarmists Caught Manipulating Temperature Data Yet Again,” The New American, June 26, 2019. Archived July 2, 2019. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.fo/r8NRw
- Rowan Scarborough. “Facial recognition firm claims Antifa infiltrated Trump protesters who stormed Capitol,” The Washington Times, January 6, 2021. Archived January 7, 2021. Archive URL:https://archive.vn/SBRvA
- Craig Silverman. “A Facial Recognition Company Says That Viral Washington Times ‘Antifa’ Story Is False,” BuzzFeed News, January 7, 2021. Archived February 12, 2021. Archive URL: https://archive.vn/47NDU
- Teo Armus. “Rep. Matt Gaetz and other GOP politicians baselessly suggest antifa is to blame for pro-Trump mob rioting into Capitol,” The Washington Post, January 7, 2021. Archived February 12, 2021. Archive URL: https://archive.vn/8ogtC
- “How pro-Trump insurrectionists broke into the U.S. Capitol,” The Washington Post, January 6, 2021. Archived February 11, 2021. Archive URL: https://archive.vn/H9tVy
- Andrea Salcedo. “GOP West Virginia state delegate live-streams as he storms Congress with pro-Trump mob: ‘We’re going in!’“ The Washington Post, January 7, 2021. Archived February 12, 2021. Archive URL: https://archive.vn/iXmob
- “Steven Goddard,” Wikipedia. Note that as of August 2018, Goddard’s page was slated for deletion. View another archive here: https://archive.fo/hhVt6
- Peter Sinclair. “New Lows: Sea Ice and ‘Steven Goddard’ credibility,” Climate Crock of the Week, September 14, 2011.
- Tim Lambert. “About that Arctic sea ice …”, Deltoid, August 28, 2008.
- John Cook. “Watts Up With That’s ignorance regarding Antarctic sea ice,” SkepticalScience, March 9, 2010.
- F. Bi. “The Steve Conspiracy? Intl.” J. Inact., July 9, 2008, 1:94–95.