- Degree in Applied Science Geology, and Fellow of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. 
Viv Forbes is the Chairman of the Carbon Sense Coalition, which was created to “defend the role of carbon on earth and in the atmosphere,” and which describes Forbes as a “pasture manager, soil scientist and geologist from Rosevale in Queensland.” 
Forbes has also had a long association with the coal industry. According to his archived biography at Stanmore Coal where he acts as director, Forbes has over 40 years of coal industry experience and has worked with Burton Coal, Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal, South Blackwater Coal Mine, Tahmoor Coal Mine, Newlands/Collinsville Coal Mines, MIM, Utah Goonyella/Saraji, Gold Fields, Austral Coal, and others. Forbes was also appointed general manager of Rocklands Richfield coal company in 2006. ], 
According to Forbes, the “Green Elite” has a “long-term agenda […] to destroy human industry and reduce human population. Thus they are opposed to farming, mining, fishing, forestry, exploration and cheap power.” 
Stance on Climate Change
“It is unbelievable that many in politics and the media are whipping up public hysteria about ‘global warming’ when the best evidence suggests that for the 100 years ending in the year 2000, the century of coal, steel, electricity, the internal combustion engine, jet planes, two world wars and a population explosion, the average surface temperature rose by only 0.6 deg, and there has been NO increase in temperature since 1998. In many areas, surface temperatures have been falling for decades.” 
“Queensland has wasted millions on the global warming industry. Residents would be better off had they spent it on water storage, flood gauges and flood-proofing of highways, railways and airports.” 
“Even if the water vapour and carbon dioxide produced by man did cause some slight warming of the earth, is this a problem? Eons of geological history show that a warm, moist, carbon-rich atmosphere encourages all life on earth. These periods are referred to as ‘Golden Ages’. The cold barren periods are those to be feared – they get called ‘The Dark Ages’.” 
“Carbon dioxide plays a wholly beneficial role in the atmosphere, and there is no evidence that this would change should carbon dioxide levels rise. It is being vilified because it is a so-called ‘Greenhouse Gas’.” 
“There is no evidence, no consensus among scientists, no clear benefits, no reliable projections but huge potential costs if Australia does indeed pursue a ‘low Carbon Future’.” 
April 23, 2018
In a speech to the U.S. Senate, a group of Democratic senators identified the organizations as front groups for the Koch Brothers and other wealthy donors, nicknamed the “Web of Deceit.” The senators outlined how, in addition to funding from the Koch network, many of the groups use untraceable “dark money” funneled through groups like Donors Capital Fund and Donors Trust to influence legislation, particularly with regards to climate and pollution.
Senator Whitehouse outlined it as “a web of deceit conceived and bankrolled by the Koch brothers and other self-interested billionaires to advocate for very selfish and unpatriotic policies.” Whitehouse added: “This web of deceit has infiltrated and populated the Trump administration, and it is swamping the interests of everyday Americans. 
The full list of pro-Pruitt signatories and their respective organizations is as follows:
- Saulius “Saul” Anuzius – 60 Plus Association
- Fred Birnbaum – Idaho Freedom Foundation
- L. Brent Bozell III – Media Research Center
- Amy Oliver Cooke – Independence Institute
- Wesley Denton – Conservative Partnership Institute
- Viv Forbes – The Carbon Sense Coalition
- Frank J Gaffney – Center for Security Policy
- Steve Goreham – Climate Science Coalition of America
- Phil Kerpen – American Commitment
- Andrew Langer – Institute for Liberty
- Lisa B. Nelson – American Legislative Exchange Council
- Rick Manning – Americans for Limited Government
- Jenny Beth Martin – Tea Party Patriots Citizens Fund
- William Perry Pendley – Mountain States Legal Foundation
- Thomas Pyle – American Energy Alliance
- George Rasley – ConservativeHQ.com
- Sandy Rios – American Family Association
- Craig Richardson – Energy & Environment Legal Institute
- Craig Rucker – Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT)
- Dr Jameson Taylor – Missisippi Center for Public Policy
- Kyle Wingfield – Georgia Public Policy Foundation
February 4, 2018
In January 2018, more than 200 scientists endorsed an open letter calling on the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) to remove climate change denier Rebekah Mercer from its board and to “end ties to anti-science propagandists and funders of climate science misinformation.” The New York Times reported that those among the AMNH letter calling for Mercer to step down were Michael E. Mann, director of the Earth System Science Center at Pennsylvania State University, and Katharine Hayhoe, director of the Climate Science Center at Texas Tech University. 
Forbes was among a group of climate change deniers who responded with their own open letter, calling for the AMNH “not to cave in to this pressure.” The letter was signed by numerous individuals with ties to groups funded by the Mercer Family Foundation such as Will Happer of the CO2 CoalitionRichard Lindzen, a fellow at the Cato InstituteCraig Idso, the chairman of the Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change. There are a number of signatories affiliated with the Heartland Institute, which has received over $5.78 million from the Mercer Family Foundation since 2008. 
“The Earth has supported abundant life many times in the geological past when there were much higher levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. It is quite likely that future generations will benefit from the enrichment of Earth’s atmosphere with more carbon dioxide.
“Make no mistake, the agitators are not defending science from quackery — quite the contrary!”
February 23, 2017
Forbes was a signatory of a petition (PDF) organized by Richard Lindzen of the Cato Institute urging President Donald Trump to pull the United States out of the United Nations international convention on climate change (UNFCCC). 
“In just a few weeks, more than 300 eminent scientists and other qualified individuals from around the world have signed the petition below,” Lindzen wrote in the letter. 
DeSmog investigated the list, and found that only a small handful of the signatories could be considered “even remotely ‘qualified’ or ‘eminent’ — but not in the field of climate science.” The list included individuals “interested in climate,” and one signatory who only identified as an “emailer who wished to sign the petition” while some signers provided no affiliation or address whatsoever. 
Viv Forbes is listed as the “secretary” of a group titled Climate Exit (Clexit) founded in the summer of 2016. According to Clexit’s founding statement (PDF), “The world must abandon this suicidal Global Warming crusade. Man does not and cannot control the climate.” , 
As Desmog reports, another key member of Clexit’s “60 well-informed science, business and economic leaders” is Hugh Morgan, a former board member of the Reserve Bank of Australia and former CEO of Western Mining Corporation with close ties to Australia’s Liberal party. , 
According to Clexit’s founding statement:
“If the Paris climate accord is ratified, or enforced locally by compliant governments, it will strangle the leading economies of the world with pointless carbon taxes and costly climate and energy policies, all with no sound basis in evidence or science […]” 
Forbes and the Carbon Sense Coalition supported climate change skeptic Christopher Monckton’s Australian tour.
“We urge people to attend the Monckton functions because the opposition will try to frighten us away with smears and personal attacks on him and his associates. His cause is our cause,” Forbes said. 
June 13, 2009
Forbes released a statement where he opposes The Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme (CPRS), claiming that it would “not change the climate, it will do nothing useful for the planet and it will destroy real jobs faster than green jobs can be created.”
His hope was that Australia would refuse to pass “this dangerous legislation.” 
October 9, 2008
Forbes authored an open letter (PDF) criticizing carbon trading on behalf of the Carbon Sense Coalition. The letter, addressed to the Premier and Members, describes carbon dioxide as “harmless … plant [food].”
Forbes also suggests that carbon trading would increase the price of petrol, grain, beef and other farm products, and that carbon trading would result in something “worse than the sub-prime crisis.” It is interesting to note that the Carbon Sense Coalition’s Advisory (PDF) Committee is filled with individuals representing the beef and mining industries. 
The letter concludes that “There is no consensus on the science of global warming, and no evidence beyond computer models that carbon dioxide is causing or will cause dangerous climate changes. Climate is always changing, and there is no evidence that man has or can affect world climate trends. Therefore there is no basis to embark on a massive dislocation of Queensland’s backbone industries. There are zero proven benefits.” 
February 11, 2008
Forbes, on behalf of the Carbon Sense Coalition, sent a submission (PDF) to the Commonwealth Department of Climate Change (DOCC), criticizing its proposal for a national greenhouse and energy reporting (NGER) system.
The NGER act would provide a national framework in Australia to report the greenhouse gas emissions by major corporations.
Forbes suggests that the NGER system (if implemented) should “minimize the data demanded, the people who must report and the matters reported on.” His suggestions include to: 
- “Delete all requirements to report all energy produced, transported and consumed…”
- “Delete all reporting on guesses of carbon gases produced by the disposal, decay, composting or burning of organic waste, agricultural products, dead pasture, scrub re-growth, waste water, animal manure, human sewerage, land fill etc…
- “Delete all references to ‘Indirect Emissions’…”
The submissions’s conclusion is that there should be an “Independent Enquiry” into climate change science before any de-carbonisation proposals are applied in Australia.
Forbes’s reasoning is that the climate is “unusually benign,” that carbon dioxide has “encouraged plant growth, causing a large increase in food production on earth since the 1850’s (‘the green revolution’).” He also believes that “a period of global cooling is likely.”
Although he mentions “scientists who study the sun,” he does not cite any scientific studies in his report.
- Carbon Sense Coalition — Chairman. 
- International Climate Science Coalition (ICSC) — Member, Policy Advisory Board. 
- Australian Climate Science Coalition (ACSC) — Member, Scientific Advisory Panel. 
- Climate Exit (Clexit) — “Secretary“ 
- Stanmore Coal — Director. 
- Burton Coal 
- Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal 
- South Blackwater Coal Mine 
- Tahmoor Coal Mine 
- Newlands/Collinsville Coal Mines 
- MIM 
- Utah Goonyella/Saraji, Gold Fields 
- Austral Coal 
- Rocklands Richfield — General manager as of 2006. 
According to a search of Google Scholar, Viv Forbes has not published any articles in peer-reviewed journals on the subject of climate.
Forbes has published a study (through the Carbon Sense Coalition) called “All Cows are Green” in the journal Australian Sugarcane. 
The study calls on farms in New Zealand and Australia to “raise their voices in opposition to the proposals of Australian and New Zealand governments to include emissions and motions from farm animals as a taxable carbon emission.”
- “Directors and Management,” Stanmore Coal. Archived April 7, 2011. Archive.fo URL: https://archive.fo/1FTWw
- “Climate Smart?” Media Statement, Sunday 1st July 2007. Published on Carbon-Sense.com.
- “The New Dark (Green) Age by Viv Forbes,” Just Grounds Community, June 27, 2011. Archived November 1, 2011.
- “Viv Forbes: adapting to climate is a better policy,” Australian Conservative, January 4, 2011.
- “The RAT Scheme will destroy jobs, jobs jobs,” Canada Free Press, June 12, 2009.
- “Introducing The Carbon Sense Coalition” (PDF), Carbon-Sense.com. Accessed January, 2012.
- Viv Forbes. “An Open Letter to Premier Anna Bligh and All Elected Members in Queensland” (PDF), Carbon Sense Coalition, October 9, 2008.
- “’Keep it Simple, Stupid’: A Submission from The Carbon Sense Coalition to the Commonwealth Department of Climate Change (DOCC) on its proposal for a National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting System” (PDF), February 11, 2008. Retrieved from Climatechange.gov.au.
- “Who We Are,” International Climate Science Coalition. Accessed January, 2012.
- “About Us,” Australian Climate Science Coalition. Archived April 5, 2010. Archived image on file at DeSmogBlog.
- Viv Forbes. “All Cows are Green,” Australian Sugarcane, Vol. 12, No. 2, Apr/May 2008.
- Viv Forbes. “Australian Tour by Christopher Monckton,” Canada Free Press, June 27, 2011.
- “The Clexit Committee comprises” (PDF), Clexit.net. Archived.pdf on file at Desmog.
- “After Brexit, Clexit” (PDF), Clexit.net. Archived .pdf on file at Desmog.
- Graham Readfearn. “After Brexit, Climate Science Denialists Form New Group to Call for a Clexit,” Desmog, August 3, 2016.
- “Hugh Morgan AO,” Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Archived February 22, 2002. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/1ObOB
- “PETITION” (PDF), February 23, 2017. Richard Lindzen. PDF Archived at DeSmog.
- Graham Readfearn. “Climate Science Denier Richard Lindzen’s List of 300 “Scientists” Sent to Trump Is the Usual Parade of Non-Experts,” DeSmog, February 27, 2017.
- Robin Pogrebin and Somini Sengupta. “A Science Denier at the Natural History Museum? Scientists Rebel,” The New York Times, January 25, 2018. Archived February 13, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/tAIv4
- Graham Readfearn. “Climate Science Deniers Defend New York’s American Museum of Natural History From Calls to Drop Trustee Rebekah Mercer,” DeSmog, February 6, 2018.
- mnh18-feb4-petitionletter (PDF – Untitled). Retrieved from Watts Up With That.
- “Coalition letter to the President on Scott Pruitt,” (PDF) Heartland Institute, 2018. Archived .pdf on file with DeSmogBlog.
- Senator Whitehouse. “Time to wake up: Web of Deceit” April 23, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.li/HzIsa
- (Press Release). “Bowen Basin expert joins Rocklands Richfield coal company: Viv Forbes appointed General Manager” (PDF), Rocklands Richfield Limited. PDF archived at DeSmog.
- “Viv Forbes,” SourceWatch Profile.