- Ph.D., Physics, University of Denver. 
According to his profile at the Energy Advocate, Hayden’s research focus was “ionic & atomic collisions; charge transfer, ionization, energy loss, energy-level crossings, ion-surface collisions, ion implantation, relativity considerations” and “energy for society.”
Stance on Climate Change
According to Hayden, “The previous predictions about the horrendous warming the people expected has not come to pass… . so it’s just pure garbage. There’s no reason to believe any of it.” 
The Energy Advocate, which Hayden edits, states: “Perhaps there is global warming, and perhaps there is a human influence, and perhaps that is bad. But we are not on the global-warming bandwagon… . There is no credible evidence that the temperature rise of the last century is anything out of the ordinary, and even less that a warmer earth would be less habitable than it is now. Nor will we attempt to scare readers with sea-rise, for it amounts to only the thickness of a nickel per year, as it has for millennia.” 
“The sun is now cooling and the past 60 years have shown the highest solar activity in the last 1400 years. So, yes the sun is now cooling, it has been warmer, and we can expect some cooling. But there’s also some change in the ocean currents that’s periodic so there is expected to be some cooling within the next decade or so. And temperature history also shows that since January, 2001, the temperature of the Earth has basically held almost flat.” 
August 26, 2019
Hayden presented at the Heartland Institute’s live-stream rebuttal to the UN’s 68th Civil Society Sustainability Conference, which was being held in Salt Lake City, Utah. Heartland’s panel featured talks by James Taylor, Richard Keen, and Paul Dreissen, among others. 
According to the live-stream’s YouTube description, the event was organized to “show how the collectivist climate and sustainability programs promoted by the U.N. would cause more harm than good, especially for the world’s poorest and most disenfranchised people.” 
Hayden said during his presentation:
“Now, the good stuff. Get rid of these utopian delusions. There is so much coal available that nobody worries about running out for at least hundreds of years. Now, hundreds of years is a short time compared to that of civilization, but they don’t even look for coal because nobody even looks for it anymore. There’s enough natural gas in methane clathrates on the continental shelf to last for at least thousands of years. There’s enough uranium to last until the sun turns into a red giant and there’s even more thorium. There’s no shortage of energy and there never will be. What we lack is the will to use it and the freedom to use it.” 
Howard Hayden is listed as a “Founding Member” of group named Climate Exit (Clexit) led by climate change denier Christopher Monckton. According to Clexit’s founding statement (PDF), “The world must abandon this suicidal Global Warming crusade. Man does not and cannot control the climate.” , 
Desmog reports on how the group grew in the wake of the UK‘s decision to leave the EU. A key member of Clexit’s “60 well-informed science, business and economic leaders” is Hugh Morgan, a former board member of the Reserve Bank of Australia and former CEO of Western Mining Corporation with close ties to Australia’s Liberal party. , 
According to Clexit’s founding statement:
“If the Paris climate accord is ratified, or enforced locally by compliant governments, it will strangle the leading economies of the world with pointless carbon taxes and costly climate and energy policies, all with no sound basis in evidence or science […]” 
July 8 – 10, 2016
Howard Hayden was a speaker at 34th Annual Meeting of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness, co-sponsored by Access to Energy, the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, and Physicians for Civil Defense. 
Hayden’s talk was titled “A Geologic History of Climate: Why Correlated with CO2—or Not.” 
DDP listed the following speakers at their event: 
- Jane Orient
- Willie Soon
- David Legates
- Mohan Doss
- Arthur Levy
- Geoffrey L. Shapiro
- Steven Hatfill
- S. Fred Singer
- Ken Haapala
- Tony Heller (AKA Steven Goddard)
- Patrick Frank
- Joe Leimkuhler
- Donald W. Miller
- Howard Hayden
- Yuri Maltsev
- Stephen Jones
- Matthew Robinson
- Arthur Robinson
June 11-12, 2015
Howard Hayden was a speaker on Panel 3: “Energy Realities,” at the Heartland Institute’s Tenth International Conference on Climate Change (ICCC10) in Washington, D.C., with Mark Mills and Kathleen Hartnett White. 
View Howard Hayden’s Panel 3 presentation at the Heartland Institute’s ICCC10, below: 
July 7–9, 2014
DeSmogBlog has done in-depth research on the other speakers and sponsors from Heartland’s ICCC9, which can be found here.
May 21–23, 2012
DeSmogBlog researched the co-sponsors behind Heartland’s ICCC7 and found that they had collectively received over $67 million from ExxonMobil, the Koch Brothers and the conservative Scaife family foundations.
Hayden was a speaker at the Heartland Institute’s 2009 International Conference on Climate Change.
Of the 65 event sponsors, 16 of them collectively received over $40 million from oil companies, especially ExxonMobil, as well as from numerous right-wing foundations such as Koch Family Foundations and Scaife Foundations.
October 27, 2009
- “A warmer world is a better world. Look at weather-related death rates in winter and in summer, and the case is overwhelming that warmer is better.”
- “The higher the CO2 levels, the more vibrant is the biosphere, as numerous experiments in greenhouses have shown. But a quick trip to the museum can make that case in spades. Those huge dinosaurs could not exist anywhere on the earth today because the land is not productive enough. CO2 is plant food, pure and simple.”
- “CO2 is not pollution by any reasonable definition.”
- “A warmer world begets more precipitation.”
- “All computer models predict a smaller temperature gradient between the poles and the equator. Necessarily, this would mean fewer and less violent storms.”
Hayden appeared on the Alex Jones show discussing “the global warming hoax.” Among Hayden’s assertions were that: “Yes, the polar ice caps are shrinking … on Mars.” He also claimed that “Overall the total polar bear population has been holding steady or slightly increasing.” 
December 13, 2007
Hayden was a signatory to a 2007 open letter to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon that asserts “it is not possible to stop climate change, a natural phenomenon that has affected humanity through the ages.” The letter also concludes that “the IPCC’s conclusions are quite inadequate as justification for implementing policies that will markedly diminish future prosperity.” 
- Natural Resources Stewardship Project (NRSP) — Past “Allied Expert.” The NRSP is now defunct. 
- Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) — Member, Board of Academic and Scientific Advisors. 
- The Heartland Institute — “Expert.” 
- Climate Exit (Clexit) — ”Founding Member.” 
According to a search of 22,000 academic journals, Hayden has not published any research in a peer-reviewed journal on the subject of climate change.
In 1996, Hayden authored an article stating that the science around the hole on the O-zone layer was “shaky.”
Hayden is the editor and publisher of a monthly newsletter called the The Energy Advocate. The Energy Advocate describes itself as “a cross between an educational blurb and a bottle of salsa. We make no apologies for being pro-science, pro-technology, pro-energy — and especially, pro-nuclear.”
Hayden has also authored two books through Vales Lake Publishing, a business registered by Hayden himself. His books are A Primer on CO2 and Climate (2007) and The Solar Fraud: Why Solar Energy Won’t Run the World (2005). A Primer on CO2 discusses what Hayden believes are the major failures of current climate models. 
- “A Primer on CO2 and Climate: About the Author,” Amazon.com.
- “Howard C. Hayden,” Profile at the University of Connecticut. Accessed December, 2011.
- “Heartland Experts: Howard Hayden,” The Heartland Institute. Accessed December, 2011.
- Youtube Video: “The Alex Jones Show – Dr Howard Hayden Global Warming Hoax pt 3.” Uploaded by user TheInfoWarrior on May 18, 2009.
- “Who We Are,” The Energy Advocate. Accessed December, 2011.
- “Physicist Howard Hayden’s one-letter disproof of global warming claims,” Ludwig von Mises Institute, October 29, 2009.
- “Open Letter to the Secretary-General of the United Nations,” December 13, 2007. Reprinted by the Science & Public Policy Institute.
- “The Solar Fraud.” Howard Hayden, PhD. The Internet Archive.
- “Allied Experts,” Natural Resources Stewardship Project. Archived February 13, 2007.
- “CFACT Board of Advisors,” CFACT. Accessed December, 2011.
- Articles of Incorporation: “Vales Lake Publishing, LLC (ID # 20011160726),” Colorado Secretary of State website. Accessed December, 2011.
- “The Clexit Committee comprises” (PDF), Clexit.net. Archived.pdf on file at Desmog.
- “After Brexit, Clexit” (PDF), Clexit.net. Archived .pdf on file at Desmog.
- Graham Readfearn. “After Brexit, Climate Science Denialists Form New Group to Call for a Clexit,” Desmog, August 3, 2016.
- “Hugh Morgan AO,” Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Archived February 22, 2002. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/1ObOB
- “DDP 34th Annual Meeting – July 2016,” Doctors for Disaster Preparedness. Archived July 22, 2016. Backup archive url: http://archive.is/oRn3j
- “Speakers,” Heartland Institute. Archived June 30, 2015.
- “Panel 3: Energy Realities with Mark Mills, Kathleen Hartnett White, and Howard Hayden,” Heartland Institute, June 11, 2015. Archived July 16, 2015.
- “Return of Climate Denial-a-Palooza: Heartland Institute Hitches Anti-Science Wagon to Vegas FreedomFest,” DeSmogBlog, July 7, 2014. Archived July 14, 2014.
- “Heartland Institute Rebuttal to UN ‘Civil Society’ Sustainability Conference,” YouTube video uploaded by user “The Heartland Institute,” August 26, 2019. Archived .mp4 on file at DeSmog.