Joanne Simpson (Deceased)
- D.SC. (Hon), State University of New York at Albany (1991). 
- Post-doc, Statistics, Dartmouth, (1970-71). 
- Ph.D., Meteorology, University of Chicago, (1949). 
- M.S., Meteorology, University of Chicago, (1945). 
- B.S., Meteorology, University of Chicago, (1943). 
Simpson was a retired meteorological scientist whose most notable work was carried out in the study of cloud systems and hurricanes. Simpson published over 190 articles in the field of meterology and worked at NASA for over twenty years. Before retiring, Simpson held the position of Chief Scientist for Meteorology at NASA. 
Joanne Simpson’s career was spent studying meteorology with a particular focus on tropical regions.
Senator James Inhofe includes Joanne Simpson on his list of scientists skeptical of man-made climate change, quoting Simpson as saying the following:
“Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly….As a scientist I remain skeptical…The main basis of the claim that man’s release of greenhouse gases is the cause of the warming is based almost entirely upon climate models. We all know the frailty of models concerning the air-surface system.” 
Note the ellipsis in the above quote. When viewed in its original context (see full quote below), Simpson’s use of the term “skeptical” could be argued to be a different kind of skepticism entirely as opposed to how “global warming skeptics” use the term. 
Stance on Climate Change
“There is no doubt that atmospheric greenhouse gases are rising rapidly and little doubt that some warming and bad ecological events are occurring. However, the main basis of the claim that man’s release of greenhouse gases is the cause of the warming is based almost entirely upon climate models. We all know the frailty of models concerning the air-surface system.
“What should we as a nation do? Decisions have to be made on incomplete information. In this case, we must act on the recommendations of Gore and the IPCC because if we do not reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and the climate models are right, the planet as we know it will in this century become unsustainable. But as a scientist I remain skeptical.” 
“…a vocal minority of scientists so mistrusts the models and the complex fragmentary data, that some claim that global warming is a hoax. They have made public statements accusing other scientists of deliberate fraud in aid of their research funding. Both sides are now hurling personal epithets at each other, a very bad development in Earth sciences.” 
Joanne Simpson released her “Public Citizen” statement concerning global warming.
Her statement that “The main basis of the claim that man’s release of greenhouse gases is the cause of the warming is based almost entirely upon climate models” was picked up by numerous skeptic blogs and other organizations, claiming that she had become a “Heretic” and “Global Warming Skeptic.” , 
But, as was noted above, her statement was taken out of context (with help from Senator Inhofe). Simpson actually believed that we must act on the recommendations of Gore and the IPCC given the potential damages of global warming, something the skeptical blogs did not mention.
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center — Past Chief Scientist for Meteorology, Earth Sciences Directorate. 
Joanne Simpson has authored over 190 articles in peer-reviewed journals, primarily on the subject of meteorology.
- “Professional Profiles: Dr. Joanne Simpson,” Goddard Space Flight Center Mesoscale Dynamics and Modeling Group. Archived July 6, 2009.
- “Joanne Simpson (1923 – 2010),” Nasa Earth Observatory.
- W. -K Tao, J. Halverson, M. LeMone, R. Adler, M. Garstang, R. Houze Jr., R. Pielke Sr., and W. Woodley. “The Research of Dr. Joanne Simpson: Fifty Years Investigating Hurricanes, Tropical Clouds, and Cloud Systems,” Meteorological Monographs (PDF), Vol. 29 (January, 2003).
- “U. S. Senate Minority Report: More Than 700 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims,” U.S. Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works, December 11, 2008.
- “Julie Bishop misrepresents Joanne Simpson,” Deltoid, March 24, 2011.
- “TRMM (Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission) Data Set Potential in Climate Controversy By Joanne Simpson, private citizen,” Climate Science: Roger Pielke Sr. Research Group News. February 27, 2008. Archived February 20, 2009.
- Joanne Simpson. “TRMM Data Set Potential in Climate Controversies: Extended Abstract” (.doc), Retrieved from Goddard Space Flight Center Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM), February 16. 2012.
- “Dr. Joanne Simpson turns heretic!”, Duff & Nonsense, February 29, 2008.
- “Another global warming sceptic,” Bishop Hill, February 27, 2008.
- “Joanne Simpson,” Wikipedia Entry.