- Politics and Philosophy, University of York. 
Peter Hitchens is a British journalist and author. He currently writes a weekly column for the Mail on Sunday and frequently updates his blog, hosted by the Mail Online. He is the brother of the late Christopher Hitchens. , , , 
He has called the climate activist group Extinction Rebellion “climate liars” and described its movement as “one of the nastiest and stupidest outbreaks of intolerant, irrational zealotry since mankind emerged from the Dark Ages”. Hitchens also takes issue with 17-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, tweeting that an answer she gave in an interview was “as slippery as any spin doctor”. , , 
Hitchens often argues that the UK’s efforts to reduce emissions are irrelevant when compared with China, who he has claimed builds “a new coal-fired power station every few weeks”. He has strongly opposed wind farms, described the UK’s environmental policies as an “obsessive, pseudo-scientific dogma” and suggested that “there are other causes” as to why islands are being submerged across the world, other than by climate change induced sea level rise. , 
Hitchens is known to have controversial and contentious views. He has called for further anti-immigration measures, giving ‘thanks” to the English Channel for keeping away “people in dinghies”, and has pushed for stronger drug policies, previously writing that “almost all” individuals who “kill someone with a blade” are marijuana users. His views on the LGBTQ community – including that “we are forced to say that we think homosexuality is a good thing” – resulted in a university event he was slated to speak at in 2019 being postponed. , , , , 
Hitchens has also been vocal during the coronavirus pandemic, describing it as a “foolish” “Great Panic” in a Mail on Sunday article. He also claimed in a blog post that “Britain is infected… by a bad case of madness”, referring to what he saw as the government’s overreaction to the pandemic. , 
Stance on Climate Change
August 26, 2019
“I have no serious doubt that the climate is getting warmer. In general, the summers are hotter, and the winters less sharp, than they were in my childhood and teens.” 
“But I think we should be careful about drawing conclusions from particular events, storms, floods, hurricanes etc, unless a pattern is discernible over a pretty long time…” 
October 29, 2017
“One of the articles of faith of the new despotism is that climate change is caused by human activity.
“It has to be an article of faith because there is no objective testable proof that this is so, the normal requirement in science.
“We are told instead that there is a ‘consensus’ or a ‘vast majority’ in favour of this belief.
“But scientific questions are not decided by majorities. They are decided by hard experiments, repeatedly verified.
“Precisely because it is a faith rather than a fact, a special intolerant fury is turned on any who publicly doubt it.” 
February 13, 2007
In a Mail Online blog post, Hitchens wrote:
“I’m asked to give my views on global warming. Well, they are this: Like most of the people who comment on this, I am not a scientist, but it seems to me that those who are scientists disagree, and that predictions are being given the value of statements of fact. I don’t share the certainties of the majority that human agency is responsible for current levels of climate change.” 
February 17, 2020
“If we completely abolish all our fossil-fuel generation, it would likewise not matter in the slightest. We are electrical hedgehogs next to China’s electrical elephant. China’s planned increase in coal power, alone, is three times the size of our whole electricity generation industry.
“If you believe that global warming is man-made (and I am not even going to bother to discuss this contention on this occasion, for it is irrelevant to my argument, so please don’t try to tempt me), then Britain’s coal shutdown will make absolutely no difference at all to the outcome you fear.” 
October 20, 2019
“My heart sang when I first watched the film of arrogant, self-righteous Warmists being pulled off the roof of a London Underground train.
“I am weary of the way that the Climate Liars have browbeaten the whole Establishment into submission with their wild, fanciful panic about impending doom and their unhinged plans to plunge us into a new, literally dark age. Unlike many other commentators, I am not at all convinced that they have a point or deserve any sympathy.” 
April 27, 2019
“This has been embarrassing to watch. I have a sneaking admiration for Miss Thunberg’s brass neck, even if I think her plans for self-imposed poverty, cold and darkness are unattractive. But for her worshippers I have nothing but scorn.” 
He went on to argue that Thunberg should have gone to China to speak, rather than come to the UK: 
“Britain already has one of the maddest energy policies on earth, taxing the poor to subsidise windmills and solar farms that don’t work most of the time, blowing up viable coal-fired power stations so they can never again be used even if we run short of volts and watts, relying on French nuclear power, gas and even diesel to fill the gap, and hoping somehow to avoid electricity cuts.” 
February 3, 2017
“Scientific questions are not resolved by majorities. And there is no proven link between human activity and global warming. Didn’t you know?” 
November 13, 2016
“Green dogma is quite a bit dafter than the beliefs of the Mormons that fashionable people like to mock. That is why I call these fanatics ‘Warmons’.
“But it has taken over the minds of our politicians and civil servants to such an extent that – on this issue – our official policy is as crazy as anything in North Korea.” 
July 27, 2016
“I don’t believe that human activity is responsible for global warming, because there is no proof that this is so.” 
April 2, 2014
“Their recent utterly unscientific claims that typhoons, hurricanes and wet winters are evidence of general climate change are even more inclined to make me think they are more interested in shouting people down, and stirring the mob, than they are in argument. They have a similar habit of suggesting that various islands are on the verge of being submerged thanks to climate change, when in fact there are other causes of their problems, such as a general tipping of the landmass or the constant erosion and shifting of islands in certain estuaries.” 
Hitchens also wrote about the term “climate change denier”: 
“As for their use of the phrase ‘climate change denier’, that is just disreputable. The expression is doubly false. Nobody denies that the climate changes. It’s a proven fact that it has done many times. The question is whether it is changing as dramatically as the zealots predict, and whether this is caused by human activity. To be a ‘denier’ is a) to be a person who refuses to accept a proven fact, which nobody is doing and b) to be smeared by association with Holocaust deniers, who *do* deny a proven fact, and do so for disgraceful reasons.” 
October 13, 2012
“… the fanatical false religion of man-made global warming is the faith that nobody dares to question”. 
December 2, 2009
“So it’s no use trying to dismiss me as some kind of petrolhead polluter who wants to cover the planet with runways and motorways, nor to allege I’m in the pay of Big Oil, when I say that I doubt the existence of man-made global warming.
“I just doubt it because I am not convinced it’s true.” 
April 24, 2021
Hitchens wrote an article for The Daily Mail which criticised the government’s strategy for reaching net zero carbon emissions by 2050, stating that it was “the means by which we in the West will join the Third World, finally and irrevocably”. Arguing that Britain’s plans to decarbonise were rendered obsolete by China’s expansion of coal- fired power stations, Hitchens characterised the government’s policies as “sheer deluded vanity,” writing: “our efforts make as much difference as trying to empty the Atlantic with a teaspoon.” 
Elsewhere in the article, Hitchens criticised the government’s plans to replace gas boilers with “costly and less efficient” heat pumps, stating: “Ferocious insulation rules will make it harder and harder to sell older houses.”
March 19, 2020
Delingpole spoke of climate change and how “it dominates economic and social policy”. Hitchens responded: 
“I am very much on the side of hard science. I’m not a scientist, I don’t claim to be a scientist, but I think I can recognise it when I see it… What hard science is, is about real experimentation… experiments which can be repeated, testable, falsifiable propositions.” 
“An awful lot of stuff now passes for science which is politicised”. 
February 22, 2020
In an article criticising the police, Hitchens described protest group Extinction Rebellion as “self-righteous ninnies”. He went on to claim that if the group “were not as thick as they are nasty, they would have realised by now that they have already won”, referring to what he said was a “takeover of the police by ultra-Leftist dogmas”. 
February 17, 2020
Hitchens wrote an “elegy” in a Mail Online blog for Didcot A Power Station, a coal and gas-fired power station, after its main chimney was demolished on February 9th, 2020, an event which he described as “a metaphor for the folly of our national energy policy”. The post was originally written after the three cooling towers were demolished in 2019; Hitchens reposted the article with revisions. , , 
In the blog post, Hitchens described how he used to “admire” the sights of Ferrybridge and Drax power stations and when he first saw Didcot was “impressed by its size and force”. 
He went on to write that the closure of the power station was “an act of dogmatic self-harm” and on critiquing power cuts and wind power, Hitchens wrote: 
“There is, as far as I know, nobody non-partisan in the power industry or the government, who is prepared to examine the facts without worrying about upsetting the state dogma of warmist fanaticism.” 
October 13, 2019
In a Mail on Sunday column, Hitchens described Extinction Rebellion “fanatics” as “one of the nastiest and stupidest outbreaks of intolerant, irrational zealotry since mankind emerged from the Dark Ages”. 
He went on to criticise the efficiency of wind power and claimed that the “dim acceptance of shouted propaganda” by the political and media class was a “futile, self-harming gesture”. 
“Correct. Water vapour is by far the most prevalent greenhouse gas. Human activity has no influence on it, it is vastly more important as a greenhouse gas than CO2. Yet most climate fanatics, as they rail about ‘the science’, do not even know this basic fact.” 
“When skeptics use this argument, they are trying to imply that an increase in CO2 isn’t a major problem. If CO2 isn’t as powerful as water vapor, which there’s already a lot of, adding a little more CO2 couldn’t be that bad, right? What this argument misses is the fact that water vapor creates what scientists call a ‘positive feedback loop’ in the atmosphere — making any temperature changes larger than they would be otherwise.” 
“So skeptics are right in saying that water vapor is the dominant greenhouse gas. What they don’t mention is that the water vapor feedback loop actually makes temperature changes caused by CO2 even bigger.” 
April 20, 2019
Hitchens argued that “lefties” with “their nasty demonstrations about climate change” know that if the policies they call for are adopted “we will be reduced to severe poverty” and that “they yearn for the wrath to come and want to see non-believers suffer”. 
August 6, 2017
Hitchens claimed that due to the 2008 Climate Change Act, “we are steering straight into an iceberg” and wrote that Parliament might be forced to “rethink its mad warmist dogma, and follow a sane power policy”. 
November 8, 2015
He also drew comparisons to China which he claimed builds “a new coal-fired power station every few weeks” and argued that “if man-made CO2 really does cause global warming, then this policy of destroying Britain’s coal-fired power stations is not affecting that”. 
Hitchens then wrote: 
“As I have pointed out here in the past, the world has seen this sort of madness before, when dogma has been allowed to veto common sense.
This is what happened to the Soviet Union, which destroyed its economy and its society by trying to create Utopia. As usual, the result was hell.” 
June 14, 2015
February 28, 2015
Crockford consistently claims that her work shows polar bears are not being endangered by global warming and runs a website called “Polar Bear Science” – she has not been published in any peer-reviewed journals on polar bears.
Hitchens concluded the article by writing, “I also ought to point out one other thing. Polar bears can swim”. 
April 3, 2014
“As to whether anything ‘needs to be done’ about any changes in the climate, Lord Lawson is quite eloquent on this, and says that practical measures to deal with the effects are more rational than doomed attempts to prevent it from happening, which may be based on serious misreadings anyway. I’m inclined to agree with him.” 
December 6, 2010
In response to the suggestion by WWF that a photo capturing a polar bear cub riding on its mother’s back was caused by global warming, Hitchens described the assertion made by the “lobbying group” as “propaganda garbage”. 
- @ClarkeMicah on Twitter.
Hitchens is the author of a number of books including;
- The Abolition of Liberty: The Decline of Order and Justice in England, Atlantic Books, 2005.
- The Rage Against God: How Atheism Led Me to Faith, Zondervan, 2010.
- The War We Never Fought: The British Establishment’s Surrender to Drugs, Bloomsbury Academic, 2013.
Below, a selection of Hitchens’ Mail on Sunday articles;
- “There’s powerful evidence this Great Panic is foolish, yet our freedom is still broken and our economy crippled,” Mail on Sunday, March 28, 2020.
- “One day it will be impossible to criticise the fanatics of Extinction Rebellion. Until then, I’ll tell the truth about those irrational zealots,” Mail on Sunday, October 13, 2019.
- “Yes, Miss Greta Thunberg, back when I was 16 I knew everything too,” Mail on Sunday, April 28, 2019.
- “Warmists armed with windmills are the REAL threat to Britain,” Mail on Sunday, November 8, 2015.
- “We won’t save refugees by destroying our own country,” Mail on Sunday, September 6, 2015.
- Nigel Farndale. “Peter Hitchens,” nigelfarndale.com, June 16, 2013. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/LkZO2
- “Peter Hitchens,” Goodreads. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/s8Mia
- “Peter Hitchens for The Mail on Sunday’s recent articles,” Mail on Sunday. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/UyHEy
- “Peter Hitchens’s blog,” Mail on Sunday. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/1yBE3
- Simon Smart. “The Brothers Hitchens,” Be Thinking. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/M5PiY
- “I don’t believe that human activity is responsible for global warming, because there is no proof that this is so,” Tweet by @ClarkeMicah on July 27, 2016. Retrieved from Twitter. Archived .png on file at DeSmog.
- “Correct. Water vapour is by far the most prevalent greenhouse gas. Human activity has no influence on it, it is vastly more important as a greenhouse gas than CO2. Yet most climate fanatics, as they rail about ‘the science’, do not even know this basic fa,” Tweet by @ClarkeMicah on October 13, 2019. Retrieved from Twitter. Archived .png on file at DeSmog.
- “Explaining how the water vapor greenhouse effect works,” Skeptical Science. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/lYhs5
- Peter Hitchens. “The battle of Canning Town proves barbarism is never as far away as you think,” Mail on Sunday, October 20, 2019. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/ieQii
- Peter Hitchens. “How the ultra-left silent revolution took over Britain,” Mail on Sunday, February 22, 2020. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/H0Evh
- Peter Hitchens. “One day it will be impossible to criticise the fanatics of Extinction Rebellion. Until then, I’ll tell the truth about those irrational zealots,” Mail on Sunday, October 13, 2019. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/MCvp2
- “Questioned about the China anomaly. Greta Thunberg was as slippery as any spin doctor. By the way, why does everyone act as if her travelling long-distance by train was a brave sacrifice?It’s *much* nicer than flying. Alas, it’s usually much costlier too,” Tweet by @ClarkeMicah on April 28, 2019. Retrieved from Twitter. Archived .png on file at DeSmog.
- Peter Hitchens. “Warmists armed with windmills are the REAL threat to Britain,” Mail on Sunday, November 8, 2015. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/6Shvc
- Peter Hitchens. “Beware of the Green Rapture. It May Not Happen,” Mail on Sunday, April 2, 2014. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/OeQ6l
- Peter Hitchens. “Why those few desperate people in dinghies really are a danger to Britain,” Mail on Sunday, January 6, 2019. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/fl3on
- “Hitchens urges tough drugs policy,” BBC News, April 24, 2012. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/IRiL9
- Peter Hitchens. “The real cause of knife crime? It’s hidden in a fog of cannabis smoke,” Mail on Sunday, March 10, 2019. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/zBPtx
- Peter Hitchens. “We show tolerance to ‘gays’ and get tyranny in return,” Mail on Sunday, February 2, 2009. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/psaXR
- “Guest speaker event postponed,” University of Portsmouth Student’s Union, February 6, 2019. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/lSY3N
- Peter Hitchens. “There’s powerful evidence this Great Panic is foolish, yet our freedom is still broken and our economy crippled,” Mail on Sunday, March 28, 2020. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/caxp6
- Peter Hitchens. “Yes, coronavirus poses a risk – but our response to it is not intelligent or useful. Britain is infected… by a bad case of madness,” Mail on Sunday, March 14, 2020. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/K1zEY
- Peter Hitchens. “70….80….90…PHEW! WHAT A SCORCHER! What should we conclude from the recent hot weather?” Mail on Sunday, August 26, 2019. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/R1tFt
- Peter Hitchens. “Finally the BBC says it is guilty… of not being left-wing enough!” Mail on Sunday, October 29, 2017. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/O1Yq1
- Peter Hitchens. “Correspondence with contributors,” Mail on Sunday, February 13, 2007. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/ujd0M
- Peter Hitchens. “An Elegy for Didcot Power Station – its destruction a metaphor for the folly of our national energy policy,” Mail on Sunday, February 17, 2020. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/0DJmh
- Peter Hitchens. “Yes, Miss Greta Thunberg, back when I was 16 I knew everything too,” Mail on Sunday, April 27, 2019. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/LYWgn
- “Scientific questions are not resolved by majorities. And there is no proven link between human activity and global warming. Didn’t you know?” Tweet by @ClarkeMicah on February 3, 2017. Retrieved from Twitter. Archived .png on file at DeSmog.
- Peter Hitchens. “Think Trump is bad? Wait until you see what comes next…” Mail on Sunday, November 13, 2016. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/FfZQ8
- Peter Hitchens. “Savile’s secret is finally out. But what about all the other lies?” Mail on Sunday, October 13, 2012. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/YanRf
- Peter Hitchens. “The inconvenient truths Mr Gore and his fanatical friends DIDN‘T tell you about climate change,” Mail on Sunday, December 2, 2009. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/RiXEn
- “Delingpod: Peter Hitchens On The Climate Change Mysteria,” YouTube video uploaded by user The James Delingpole Channel on March 19, 2020. Archived .mp4 on file at DeSmog.
- Chris Johnston. “Didcot A accident: company had never knocked down a power station before,” Guardian, February 25, 2016. Archived April 22, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/ktIuH
- “Didcot Power Station’s chimney to be demolished,” BBC News, January 3, 2020. Archived April 23, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/LaUZf
- Peter Hitchens. “It starts with screeching Lefties calling us Nazis… It ends in a police state,” Mail on Sunday, April 21, 2019. Archived April 23, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/M5ZJU
- Peter Hitchens. “That infuriating speed bump? Your stupid driving put it there,” Mail on Sunday, August 6, 2017. Archived April 23, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/nA88b
- “But I have yet to see a testable objective demonstration of the connection between human activity and climate change,” Tweet by @ClarkeMicah on June 14, 2015. Retrieved from Twitter. Archived .png on file at DeSmog.
- Peter Hitchens. “Reasonable, peaceful, sober. That’s why they terrify me,” Mail on Sunday, February 28, 2015. Archived April 23, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/pduOu
- Peter Hitchens. “A Deeply Disappointing Response,” Mail on Sunday, April 3, 2014. Archived April 23, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/HGFWC
- Peter Hitchens. “The eternal Coalition: Perfect for politicians, lousy for the rest of us,” Mail on Sunday, December 6, 2010. Archived April 23, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/fmzna
- “Peter Hitchens Writer,” Spectator. Archived June 16, 2020. Archive.fo URL: http://archive.fo/oUb4l
- Peter Hitchens. “PETER HITCHENS: Boris’s green revolution will turn Britain into a Third World country,” The Daily Mail, April 24, 2021. Archived April 26, 2021. Archive.ph URL: https://archive.ph/YslVy
- “James Delingpole,” DeSmog.
- “Susan Crockford,” DeSmog.
- “Nigel Lawson,” DeSmog.
- “Global Warming Policy Foundation,” DeSmog.
Image credit: Nigel Luckhurst (CC BY–SA 4.0)