Doctors for Disaster Preparedness (DDP)
Doctors for Disaster Preparedness (DDP) is a 501(C)(3) non-profit located in Tucson, Arizona. It has ties to the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons, a conservative advocacy group that shares the same address and administrative staff. 
Arthur B. Robinson is Vice President and past President of DDP, as well as founder of the Oregon Institute for Science and Medicine (OISM). The DDP page on the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (OISM) website offers the following description:
Doctors for Disaster Preparedness (DDP) “promotes homeland defense and prudent preparedness for disasters of all kinds, including war or terrorism. Its annual meeting brings together America’s foremost authorities on strategic and civil defense as well as prominent scientists speaking on real threats or manufactured scares. Recent topics: global warming, ozone “depletion,” radiation hazards and radiation hormesis. 
In addition to mailing address, the Doctors for Disaster Preparedness website is registered to Jeremy Snavely of AAPS.  Mother Jones magazine offered the following description of the AAPS‘s journal, called the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons: 
“The publication’s archives present a kind of alternate-universe scientific world, in which abortion causes breast cancer and vaccines cause autism, but HIV does not cause AIDS. Cutting carbon emissions represents a grave threat to global health (because environmental regulation would make people poorer and, consequently, sicker) … The organization opposes some of the most accepted practices in health care, including mandatory vaccine regulations. Peer review, a long-standing hospital practice that helps doctors learn from and prevent errors, is viewed as the source of great injustice by AAPS, which fights attempts to micromanage doctors with such bureaucratic nuisances as medical evidence about what works and what doesn’t. Computers, too, are an ominous threat. The organization has resisted the use of electronic medical records—which, naturally, represents an attempt by the government to acquire masses of private information about American citizens. (AAPS‘ executive director claims to keep all her patient notes in longhand.)”
Doctors for Disaster Preparedness (DDP) offers a “Disaster Preparedness Library,” which includes a “Global Warming Seminar” by Arthur B. Robinson as well as coverage of “Nuclear War Survival Skills.” 
Topics on DDP‘s website include: “Ozone hole, Global warming, and other Environmental Scares,” Chem/Bio Terrorism, Vaccines, DDT, Low Dose Radiation, Civil Defense, Chemical Hysteria, Physician Oaths, Nuclear Fear, among others.
Stance on Climate Change
DDP lists climate change as an “Environmental Scare,” and links to a variety of skeptical authors and organizations from their website including the Oregon Petition, which was associated with the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (OISM). 
According to Doctors for Disaster Preparedness’s most recent 990 tax forms (EIN 59-2414338), DDP reported $70,887 in net assets at the end of 2014 with $51,256 in total revenue. Approximately 40% of their revenue came from membership dues, and they reported 59% from “program service revenue.” View publicly available 990 forms below.
- Regular (Doctoral) Membership $100
- Associate Membership $50
- Sponsoring Membership $250
- Student Membership $10
Willie Soon and DDP
Willie Soon, who has had more than $1.2 million in contributions from the fossil fuel industry while failing to report that information in many of his scientific papers,  has been a regular speaker at the Doctors for Disaster Preparedness annual meetings. DeSmogblog reports on Soon’s speeches from 2000 to 2014. 
See John Mashey’s spreadsheet on DDP Speakers for more details (Chron lists talks chronologically and Speakers is sorted by name, putting Willie Soon near the end.)
Willie Soon at DDP 2000-2014, #18-#32.
- 18f The Sun Also Warms: the Sun-Climate Link.
- 19f Identifying Mankind’s Fingerprint: Why Is the Task So Difficult?
- 20e An Orbital Icehouse in 100,000 A.D.?
- 21c Level with Me: the Sea, the Sun, and Climate Change.
- 22f 20th Century Temperature Change: Facts, Dangerous Fictions, and Spin.
- 23e The Science of Mercury Behind the Headlines: Fiction, Misunderstanding, & Reality
- 24c Hurricanes, Global Warming, and the Sun
- 25c Global Warming 101: Al Gore’s Carbon Dioxide Theory
- 26l Endangering the Polar Bear: How Environmentalists Kill.
- 27h The View From Galileo’s Window: The Sun, The CO2 Monster, and Earth’s Climate
- 28o Acid Oceans, Osteoporosis of the Sea: the Failed Global Warming Scare
- 29d Solar Radiation, Indian Summer Monsoon, and Dragonfly Migration.
- 30c Mercury Air Toxics Standards and the Extreme Punishment Agency (EPA)
- 31c Five or More Failed Experiments in Measuring Global Sea Level Change
- 32c False Rejection of Sun-Climate Connection by IPCC’s “Gangster Science.”
According to Doctors for Disaster Preparedness’ most recent 990 tax forms (2014 990-EZ):
- Jane M. Orient — President
- Paul Morris — Vice President
- Arthur Robinson — Vice President
- Donald Miller — Director
- Howard Hayden — Director
- John Kasch — Director
- Norbert Rempe — Director
- Robert Cihak — Director
- Steven Hatfill — Director
Former key employees, according to 2010’s publicy-filed 990 tax forms, (2010 990-EZ):
- Jane M. Orient — President
- Claud Boyd — Secretary-Treasurer
- Howard Long — Vice President
- Paul Morris — Vice President
- Arthur Robinson — Vice President, and past President. 
- Robert Cihak — Director
- Gerald Looney — Director
- Howard Maccabee — Director (Now Deceased)
DDP has awarded its “Petr Beckmann award for courage and achievement in defense of scientific truth and freedom” to numerous climate change skeptics. See DeSmogBlog’s report, “Weird Anti-Science – Donna Bethell, SEPP and Sandia National Laboratories” (page 19), for more information:
- Marc Morano (2010) 
- S. Fred Singer (2007) 
- Willie Soon (2004) 
- Sherwood Idso (2003) 
- Sallie Baliunas (1997) 
- Arthur Robinson (1998) 
- Jane Orient (1995) 
July 8–11, 2016
Doctors for Disaster Preparedness hosted it’s 34th Annual Meeting, co-sponsored by Access to Energy, the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, and Physicians for Civil Defense. Keynote speakers at the event featured many prominent climate change deniers.
Full list of speakers and available videos below: 
- Jane Orient
- Willie Soon
- David Legates
- Mohan Doss
- Arthur Levy
- Geoffrey L. Shapiro
- Steven Hatfill
- S. Fred Singer
- Tony Heller (AKA Steven Goddard)
- Patrick Frank
- Joe Leimkuhler
- Donald W. Miller
- Howard Hayden
- Yuri Maltsev
- Stephen Jones
- Matthew Robinson
- Arthur Robinson
Willie Soon’s talk was titled on “Beethoven’s Ice Cream, Tolstoy’s Fire, Happer’s Picosecond Pedestal—and Climate”:
Tony Heller’s (AKA Steven Goddard) talk was titled “Evaluating The Integrity Of Official Climate Records”:
August 1, 2015
Kenneth Haapala of the Science and Environmental Policy Project (SEPP) spoke at the 33rd Annual Meeting of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness (DDP) in Ontario, California. His video, titled “Debunking Claims about Climate Change and Health” is below.
A number of other prominent climate change skeptics also spoke at DDP‘s 33rd Annual Meeting, including those below:
- S. Fred Singer on “Shifting the Focus of Climate Change: From Warming to Cooling.”
- Jay Lehr (the Heartland Institute’s Science Director) on “Replacing the EPA.”
- Willie Soon on ”Clean Air, Water and Soil: A Study of the Scientific Evidence.”
In his presentation, Fred Singer discussed why we should be “abandoning all mitigation of the greenhouse (GH) gas carbon dioxide,” while Haapala described CO2 limitations as “policy in search of a problem.” Willie Soon was defensive regarding funding, saying that “I do not care where the funding is coming from, I am only interested in the scientific truth.” , 
July 13, 2013
Dr. Willie Soon, a regular presenter at the Doctors for Disaster Preparedness annual meetings (see above) presented at the DDP‘s 31st Annual Meeting in Houston, Texas. His presentation was on “Five or More Failed Experiments in Measuring Global Sea Level Change” (video below).
May 21–23, 2012
June 2, 2010
“I really don’t think that you can find or argue convincingly that there are any significant worries about the sea ice condition in the Arctic,” Soon told the group. “I would suggest that the current condition today is nowhere near optimal for the polar bear, which means it can grow a little bit warmer.”
May 16–18, 2010
DeSmogBlog investigated sponsors of the event, and found that they had received a combined total of over $40 million in funding from ExxonMobil since 1985, and/or Koch Industries foundations, and/or the Scaife family foundations. 
June 2, 2009
The Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (OISM), which appears to have been a part of organizing the petition project, also appears to be connected to DDP.
Their letter to the Senate and House of Representatives discounted a previous letter written by the group Ozone Action to the Washington Times which cast doubt on the 16,000 “scientists” letter. DDP suggests that the Kyoto Treaty’s scientific issues “need to be discussed by grownups,” implying that “Global Warmers” are “childish.” 
Doctors for Disaster Preparedness Contact & Location
As of April 2016, Doctors for Disaster Preparedness listed the following contact information on its website: 
Doctors for Disaster Preparedness
1601 N. Tucson Blvd. Suite 9
Tucson, AZ 85716
Related Organizations & Jane Orient
As reported by John Mashey at DeSmogBlog, DDP President Jane Orient has connections to at least six other nonprofit groups, some dormant, and most with tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status. View attached spreadsheet (.xls) for more details on connections between the groups. 
With regards to President Clinton’s budget proposal that would fine cigarette companies for underage smokers, Orient is quoted as saying that “Concern about health does not justify using Third Reich measures against corporations engaged in a legal Business.” 
Orient’s connections include the following organizations:
EIN: 860852791 | AAPS Educational Foundation — Apparently dormant.
EIN: 860884230 | Southwestern Institute of Science LTD — Apparently dormant.
EIN: 362991388 | American Health Legal Foundation (AHLF) — Has over $500K in assets (as of 2014) and 2 officers/directors shared with AAPS, plus Orient.
EIN: 362059197 | Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS, 501(c)(6)) — Has nearly $1M assets (as of 2014), paid Jane Orient $182,600 in 2012 (Form 990), has a few thousand members, website, and entries in Wikipedia, SourceWatch and RationalWiki.
AAPS publishes the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons (JPandS), not an indexed, peer-reviewed journal. The Journal published “Environmental Effects of Increased Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide” in 2007 by Art Robinson, Noah Robinson, and Willie Soon. It has often published Robinsons, as well as other climate-relevant pieces. Besides Jane Orient, it has shared several offices/directors with DDP, as enumerated in attached spreadsheet.
EIN: 592414338 | Doctors for Disaster Preparedness INC (DDP)
EIN: 930814898 | The Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (OISM), IRS, has about $5M in assets, a website, a SourceWatch entry. Two of its “faculty” are deceased. The Board consists of Art Robinson, his sons Noah and Zachary, Jane Orient, and one more person. OISM is known for the Oregon Petition.
- Heartland Institute — In addition to being a Heartland ICCC Sponsor, DDP cooperates closely with Heartland during its Annual Meetings, with Fred Singer, Willie Soon, Art Robinson and Jay Lehr speaking in both in 2007 and 2011 as well as many familiar people appearing as ‘faculty.’ 
- Environmental Issues Council — DDP‘s Jane Orient was listed on the “Scientific Advisory Committee” of the Environmental Issues Council. 
- Leo Hickman. “Climate sceptics and fringe political groups are an unhealthy cocktail,” The Guardian, June 4, 2010. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw1i918N
- “Doctors for Disaster Preparedness,” Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bvzkgBwG
- “WHOIS Results for ddponline.org” Networksolutions.com. Accessed September 30, 2015.
- Stephanie Mencimer. “The Tea Party’s Favorite Doctors,” Mother Jones, November 18, 2009. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw2yxe0F
- “Disaster Preparedness Library,” Homeland Civil Defense.org. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw1swtLk
- “Ozone hole, Global warming, and other Environmental Scares,” Doctors for Disaster Preparedness. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw2BF9Lk
- “DDP Dues Payment Form,” Doctors for Disaster Preparedness. Archived .pdf on file at DeSMogBlog.
- Justin Gillis and John Schwartz. “Deeper Ties to Corporate Cash for Doubtful Climate Researcher,” The New York Times, February 21, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw94brot
- John Mashey. “Was Willie Soon Paid For Science…Or Anti-Science?” DeSmogBlog, February 27, 2015.
- “Speakers 20th Annual Meeting of DDP Colorado Springs, CO, July 27-28, 2002,” Doctors for Disaster Preparedness. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw3PBKmv
- Leo Hickman. “Climate sceptic Morano’s ‘courage’ award is a vicious irony,” The Guardian, July 13, 2010. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw40hLW6
- DOCTORS FOR DISASTER PREPAREDNESS NEWSLETTER, VOL. XVII, NO. 4 (July, 2000). Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw3yUTSh
- DOCTORS FOR DISASTER PREPAREDNESS NEWSLETTER, VOL. XXI, NO.4 (July, 2004). Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw3w3qAl
- “On Accepting an Award,” CO2Science, Volume 6, Number 30, Supplemental (July 23, 2003). Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw3tCGQ5
- “Sallie Baliunas, Ph.D.,” profile at the Competitive Enterprise Institute. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw3oGMC9
- DOCTORS FOR DISASTER PREPAREDNESS NEWSLETTER, Vol. XII, No. 5 (September 1995 ). Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw43OWHx
- Ileana Johnson Paugh. “EPA De-Develops the US Through Nebulous Consensus Climate Change,” Canada Free Press, August 10, 2015. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bwCfoXqp
- Donald Kendal. “DDP Takes on Myths, Superstitions, and Real threats Confronting America,” The Heartland Institute (blog), August 10, 2015. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bwCxbk1D
- “Cosponsors,” 7th International Conference on Climate Change. Archived May 10, 2012. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmogBlog.
- Michael Fisher. “A Closer Look at Heartland’s ICCC7 Denial-a-Palooza Speakers and Sponsors,” DeSmogBlog, May 23, 2013.
- Sabrina Shankman. “Willie Soon: ‘Too Much Ice Is Really Bad for Polar Bears’,” Inside Climate News, February 24, 2015. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bwC7DEic
- “4th International Conference on Climate Change Conference Program” (PDF), The Heartland Institute. Archived .pdf on file at DesMogBlog.
- Brendan DeMelle. “Denial-a-palooza Round 4: ‘International Conference on Climate Change’ Groups Funded by Exxon, Koch Industries,” DeSmogBlog, May 13, 2010.
- “Co-Sponsors,” Third International Conference on Climate Change. Archived July 14, 2010. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmogBlog.
- “SCIENTISTS URGE REJECTION OF KYOTO AGREEMENT” (PDF), Doctors for Disaster Preparedness, April 15, 1998. Retrieved from Greenpeace research archives. Archived .pdf also on file at DeSmogBlog.
- “GLOBAL WARMERS RESORT TO CHILDISH PRANKS” (PDF), Doctors for Disaster Preparedness, May 1, 1998. Retrieved from Greenpeace research archives. Archived .pdf also on file at DeSmogBlog.
- John Mashey. “Anti-Science Associations: Rand Paul, Jane Orient, Art Robinson, Willie Soon And Friends,” DeSmogBlog, February 23, 2015.
- “PHILIP MORRIS COMPANIES INC,NICOLI,D. WEEKLY BULLET REPORT FOR FEDERAL TOBACCO TEAM.” Philip Morris, June 29, 1998. Bates# 2078294709-2078294712. Retrieved from Truth Tobacco Industry Documents, University of California, San Francisco.
- “TW00-06. POLITICS. CLINTON‘S FY2001 (20010000) BUDGET INCLUDES TOBACCO TAX, YOUTH CONSUMPTION ‘ASSESSMENT FEE.” RJ Reynolds, February 10, 2000. Bates # 531642403-531642408. Retrieved from Truth Tobacco Industry Documents, University of California, San Francisco.
- John R. Mashey. ”Fake science, fakexperts, funny finances, free of tax 2 SEPP, Heartland, CSCDGC, allies & DONORS” (PDF), DeSmogBlog, October 23, 2012. See pp.178-179 for info on DDP Annual Conferences.
- “Scientific Advisory Council,” Environmental Issues Council. Archived March 23, 2002.
- “Disconnected,” Doctors for Disaster Preparedness, April 10, 2016. Archived June 13, 2016. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6iFI9TLWx
- “DDP 34th Annual Meeting – July 2016,” Doctors for Disaster Preparedness. Archived July 22, 2016. Backup archive url: http://archive.is/oRn3j
- John Mashey. “Rand Paul and Strange Associations with Anti-Science,” DeSmogBlog, February 5, 2015.
- John R. Mashey. “Weird Anti-Science – Donna Bethell, SEPP and Sandia National Laboratories” (PDF), DeSmogBlog, October 31, 2011. See Page 19.
- “Paging Doctor Strangelove,” WND, February 7, 2002. Archived September 30, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6bw1OtRnL
- “Doctors for Disaster Preparedness,” Wikipedia.
- “Doctors for Disaster Preparedness,” SourceWatch Profile.
- ExxonSecrets Factsheet: Doctors for Disaster Preparedness, DDP.