- Ph.D., Meteorology, Free University of Berlin. 
- M.Sc., Atmospheric Sciences, University of Michigan. 
Gerd-Rainer Weber is a scientist with the German Coal Mining Association where, according his profile at the Heartland Institute, he is “responsible for scientific research, policy analysis and consultancy in the fields of the environmental impact of coal use, particularly problems related to air pollution and global warming.” He is also listed as a consulting meteorologist and independent researcher.
Stance on Climate Change
“Most of the extremist views about climate change have little or no scientific basis. The rational basis for extremist views about global warming may be a desire to push for political action on global warming.” 
“In a Democratic Society, Published opinion and public perceptions are the main drivers for political action, not indisputable scientific facts. Cases and point are the European Union’s Climate Change Strategy of 10 January 2007 and the Green Package of 23 January, 2008, but also some regional activities in the US and proposed action by US legislative bodies. Those Policies and proposals have been justified by the extremist view on climate change.” 
May 25, 2000
Weber was part of a team organized by SEPP to conduct an “independent review of the IPCC‘s Third Assessment Report.” What SEPP called its “Science Integrity Team” briefed members of Congress, news media and other organizations on Capitol Hill about how, generally, climate change was a non-issue. 
Weber spoke at the “The Greenhouse Controversy” conference cosponsored by the European Academy for Environmental Affairs and SEPP in Leipzig, Germany.
Weber appeared in “The Greening of Planet Earth,” a 1992 video by the Greening Earth Society (GES). GES was set up by the coal utility cooperative Western Fuels Association (WFA) “as a vehicle for advocacy on climate change, the environmental impact of CO2, and fossil fuel use.” , 
- The Science and Environmental Policy Project (SEPP) — Member, “Scientific Integrity Team.” 
- Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) — Member, “Board of Advisors.” 
- The Heartland Institute — “Expert.” 
- The European Science and Environment Forum (ESEF) — “Academic Member” as of March, 1998. ESEF is now defunct. 
Gerd-Rainer Weber’s books include two on climate change:
- Treibhauseffekt: Klimakatastrophe oder Medienpsychose? (Böttiger, 1991)
- Global Warming: The Rest of the Story (Böttiger, 1992).
A search of Google Scholar returns eight articles written by a GR Weber on the subjects of climate and temperature variation. His papers have appeared in the Climate Research Journal (see below) including one one paper co-written by fellow climate skeptic Robert Balling Jr. titled “Theoretical and Applied Climatology and the International Journal of Climatology” (PDF).
In 2003, Climate Research Journal published a controversial paper (PDF) by Willie Soon and Sallie Baliunas that prompted five of ten editors to resign in protest due to the flawed peer review process that allowed its publication. According to the acknowledgments listed in the paper, the study was partially funded by the American Petroleum Institute (API).
- “Heartland Experts: Gerd-Rainer Weber,” The Heartland Institute. Accessed February, 2012.
- “Annex A. Authors and Expert Reviewers,” Climate Change 2001 Synthesis report. Archived April 27, 2005, at Klima Climate Change Center.
- Marc Morano. “Climate Skeptics Reveal ‘Horror Stories’ of Scientific Suppression,” U.S. Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works, March 6, 2008.
- “Gerd-Rainer Weber,” (Video) Presentation at the Heartland Institute’s 2008 International Conference on Climate Change. Uploaded by the Heartland Institute, September 14, 2011.
- “What’s wrong with U.N. climate science: An independent scientific review of the IPCC‘s Third Assessment Report” (News Release), Science and Environmental Policy Project, May 25, 2000. Archived February 15, 2007.
- “THE LEIPZIG DECLARATION ON GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE,” Science and Environmental Policy Project. Archived December 6, 1998.
- “CFACT Board of Advisors,” Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow. Accessed February 23, 2012.
- Robert Nilsson. “Environmental Tobacco Smoke Revisited: The reliability of the evidence for risk of lung cancer and cardiovascular desease,” The European Science and Environment Forum, March 1998. Retrieved from Truth Tobacco Industry Documents library. Bates Number : 518988738-518988770.
- “International Conference on Climate Change, Program,” (PDF) Heartland Institute. Archived February 12, 2018.
- “The Greening of Planet Earth (1992),” YouTube video uploaded by user “co2science,” June 24, 2013. Archived .mp4 on file at DeSmog.
- “Join GES,” Greeningearthsociety.org. Archived March 8, 2005. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/8BURx
- “Gerd-Rainer Weber,” SourceWatch Profile.