For almost five years, DeSmog has been fortunate to have had the clever and capable Mat Hope leading our UK team and investigations, but today is his last day.
Our team is so incredibly grateful for his many and varied editorial and strategic contributions since he joined DeSmog UK in October 2016. Among the articles, investigations, and projects that have benefited from his work include the following:
- editing an investigation into greenwashing by major oil and gas companies that earned significant media coverage around the world.
- mapping how a U.S.-UK network was pushing climate denial while lobbying for a hard Brexit.
- revealing how Shell gained privileged access to the UN climate change negotiations while pushing the same unworkable solutions for almost 20 years.
- uncovering how the tobacco and fossil fuel industries fund disinformation campaigns around the world.
- reporting on the ground from the sites of fossil fuel resistance protests in the UK.
- overseeing the launch of DeSmog’s Agribusiness and Air Pollution Lobbying databases.
- helping expand and lead our award-winning UK team of reporters and researchers
- launching our DeSmog UK fundraising campaign on Patreon (a great way to support his legacy of climate accountability reporting in the UK)
Mat may be moving on from his role as DeSmog’s Special Projects and Investigations Editor to the next adventure, but he will still be working to hold those responsible for climate change to account. He will be missed by his DeSmog colleagues!