Illinois Policy Institute (IPI)
The Illinois Policy Institute is a member of the State Policy Network (SPN), a group that has supported some of the most vocal organizations denying man-made climate change including the Heartland Institute, Cato Institute, and Heritage Foundation. According to Huffington Post, in 2011 SPN members’ combined fundraising totaled more than $83 million and included significant contributions from Koch, Donors Trust, and Donors Capital Fund. 
Stance on Climate Change
“The market is better able to determine what energy solutions will be economically feasible than the government. Leveling the playing field by removing energy subsidies will allow the true cost of energy to be known, and consumers and investors will be able to more efficiently put their dollars toward the best energy solutions for the future.”
The following funding values are based on data the Conservative Transparency Project collected from publicly-available tax forms. Note that not all individual values have been verified by DeSmogBlog for accuracy.
View the attached spreadsheet for additional values on the Illinois Policy Institute’s funding by year (.xlsx).
IPI as Recipient
|Ed Uihlein Family Foundation||$4,550,000|
|Donors Capital Fund||$2,011,100|
|Mercer Family Foundation||$1,100,000|
|State Policy Network||$644,800|
|The Rauner Family Foundation||$625,000|
|Jaquelin Hume Foundation||$280,000|
|Dunn’s Foundation for the Advancement of Right Thinking||$240,000|
|The Roe Foundation||$220,000|
|Barney Family Foundation||$215,000|
|The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation||$170,000|
|Charles Koch Institute||$135,837|
|The McWethy Foundation||$93,000|
|Stuart Family Foundation||$85,000|
|The Randolph Foundation||$50,000|
|Walton Family Foundation||$50,000|
|Schwab Charitable Fund||$46,300|
|Adolph Coors Foundation||$35,000|
|Atlas Economic Research Foundation||$34,000|
|Castle Rock Foundation||$15,000|
|Center for Independent Thought||$10,000|
|Logos Charitable Fund||$3,500|
|National Philanthropic Trust||$2,000|
|National Christian Charitable Foundation||$1,500|
IPI as Donor
|Think Freely Media||$685,332|
|Liberty Justice Center||$591,000|
|Year||Charles Koch Institute|
View key people by year below, or view the attached spreadsheet for a full list of the Illinois Policy Institute’s key People (.xlsx) including sources.
May 8, 2013
The Illinois Policy Institute hosted “The Great Ethanol Debate” featuring Jim Murphy of “Carbon Green BioEnergy,” Jerry Taylor of the Cato Institute, and John Tillman of the Illinois Policy Institute.
May 16–18, 2010
The Illinois Policy Institute was an official co-sponsor of the Heartland Institute’s 4th International Conference on Climate Change (ICCC4).
January 20, 2010
Prominent climate change denier Christopher Horner spoke at an Illinois Policy Institute event about his book, “’Red Hot Lies: How Global Warming Alarmists Use Threats, Fraud, and Deception to Keep You Misinformed.’”
According to a description at the Illinois Policy Institute, “Horner pointed out some of the glaring errors – perhaps deliberate misrepresentations – in the global warming “’science.’”
Illinois Policy Institute Contact & Location
The Illinois Policy Institute listed the following contact information on its website as of May, 2016:
190 South LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60603
802 South 2nd Street
Springfield, IL 62704
- Liberty Justice Center — “Powered by the Illinois Policy Institute”
- Illinois News Network — ”Powered by the Illinois Policy Institute”
- IllinoisOpenGov.org (Now Defunct) — Website listing state spending and salaries by the Illinois Policy Institute.
According to the Center for Media and Democracy’s Sourcewatch, the IPI was a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council as of 2011. Sourcewatch writes:
ALEC’s Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force
Brian Costin (IPI’s Director of Outreach) and Ted Dabrowski (IPI’s Vice President of Policy) represented the Illinois Policy Institute on ALEC’s Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force.
Brian Costin presented the “Local Government Transparency Act” model legislation, and Dabrowski introduced the “Pension Funding and Fairness Act” model legislation for adoption at the ALEC 2011 Annual Meeting.
Executive Vice President Kristina Rasmussen represented IPI on the Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force as of April 2010, when she penned an article entitled “Pension Funding Reform: A Solution for Budget Deficits” for ALEC’s newsletter, Inside ALEC.
ALEC’s Health and Human Services Task Force and Education Task Force
Senior Budget and Tax Policy Analyst, Amanda Griffin-Johnson, presented model legislation (the “State Employee Health Savings Account Act”) to the HHS task force at ALEC’s 2011 annual meeting.
Collin Hitt, Director of Education Policy, is a private sector member of the Education Task Force representing IPI. He sponsored the “Local Government Transparency Act” at the ALEC 2011 States and Nation Policy Summit.
- “Our Story,” Illinois Policy Institute. Archived February 25, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/0snEd
- “Directory,” State Policy Network. Archived February 26, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/dg2QT
- Paul Blumenthal. “Meet The Little-Known Network Pushing Ideas For Kochs,ALEC,” Huffington Post, November 14, 2013. Archived February 25, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/s4BYY
- Chris Andriesen. “SPOTLIGHT ON SPENDING #4: ILLINOIS STATE ENERGY SUBSIDIES,” Illinois Policy Institute. Archived February 26, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/ejHRA
- “Illinois Policy Institute,” Conservative Transparency transactions search. Data retrieved June 6, 2016. Archive.is URL:
- (GREENPEACE BRIEFING). “Donors Trust: The shadow operation that has laundered $146 million in climate-denial funding” (PDF), Greenpeace. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmogBlog.
- “The Great Ethanol Debate,” Illinois Policy Institute, March 31, 2013. Archived February 26, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/DW2gW
- “4th International Conference on Climate Change: Sponsored by the Heartland Institute” (Conference Program – PDF), The Heartland Institute, May, 2010. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmogBlog.
- Brendan DeMelle. “Denial-a-palooza Round 4: ‘International Conference on Climate Change’ Groups Funded by Exxon, Koch Industries,” DeSmog, May 13, 2010.
- Jerry Agar. “Red Hot Lies About Climate Change,” Illinois Policy Institute, January 21, 2010. Archived February 26, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/EZHhD
- “Illinois open government,” Illinois Policy Institute, October 27, 2011. Archived May 13, 2013. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmog.
- “Illinois Policy Institute,” SourceWatch. Accessed February 25, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/SQ1u0
- “Contact Information,” Illinois Policy Institute. Archived May 29, 2016. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/hrGTF
- “Koch Industries: Secretly Funding the Climate Denial Machine,” Greenpeace USA. Archived March 13, 2017. Archive.is URL: https://archive.is/au7P4
- “Factsheet: Illinois Policy Institute,” ExxonSecrets.